UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: sumap10 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1490  
Subject: Re: poverty level Date: 10/11/2003 5:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
How little would my 'income' have to be?

For all income based discounts, some organizations look at all your assets, and others don't. In other words, say you show so much interest and dividend income which is reported on your income tax. Say this total amount qualifies you for free or reduced fee services; It might not matter that you withdraw $30,000/year by cashing a stock or some such.

Just last month, I called a social service agency to get counseling help for an 83-year old who was traumatized by her recent move to a retirement community. Based on her income she qualified for free service. I told them she had money in an IRA and did that make a difference: No, they said; they don't look at that.

My local phone company only charges $8/mo for low income, and they don't look at assets. Big help.

There are 50 million social service agencies out there that most of us have never looked at or thought about. (.....and you were wondering why our deficit is so big?????). Do you know that Senior Services will even take over paying all your bills and all your finances for you? Think I'll pass on that one, but did you know it even exists? I have a "thing" for helping the elderly, and in doing so, I've uncovered all kinds of help I never dreamed existed - not just for the elderly, either. Apparently, there are free medical clinics available. When I was getting a lab test the other day, there was a sign indicating at what income levels you don't have to pay. Never'v seen that before!

So, Ogre, if you're so inclined, you first have to take a different mind set and call every agency you can think of and ask them for qualifying factors.

Most people on the REHP rant about people getting free stuff or expecting the GOVERNMENT to take care of them, including me for most of my life. But, you know what, I'm just getting disgusted. The US can subsidize Iraqi salaries, but I have to bear the full brunt of buying my own insurance with a high deductible that I can't even utilize because the deductible is so high. Oh, oh, I feel a rant coming on. Better stop.

Sumap10
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement