No. of Recommendations: 2
How long am I willing to wait for the thesis to prove out?

This has proven to be one of the big stumbling blocks of the BMWM for me. Reversion to the mean happens because there is an attractor which is the intrinsic value of the underlying company. But that is not enough, Mr. Market has to get it and it will in time but in competition with all the other investment opportunities. If you are looking at a healthcare stock, the sector might be going in or out of favor affecting the time for the stock to revert.

What this translates into is the need for long term investing horizons and patience while at present markets are choppier than ever. The first question to ask is "How long is your attention span?"

A very long time ago IcyWolf and I had long discussions about when to buy a BMWM stock. I was in favor of averaging down while he favored waiting for the uptrend before buying. At this late date I concede that he was right! While the profits in dollars might be the same, since his holding period is shorter, his CAGR is higher. In other words, buying after the bottom is better cash management. Money parked voluntarily is OK but money stagnating in a stock is not.

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement