Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
how long do you have to wait before this can go back before a court?

Since it's handled by the state now that it's a court order, I just get to sit back and watch.

First: If he's behind at all on December 31, I can take his tax deduction for Q for the year (we each get a kid if he's current). Now I wouldn't want to do this for a small amount of arrears, because it would likely delay any refund I'd recieve from it for approximately 60 days, while my and DN's returns, the court order, and state records were reviewed by an actual person. But a large enough amount I would.

Second: if he's behind $2k or more, the state will tell the Federal government to withhold any refund he'd recieve, then apply it to the balance of the account. This is in addition to me getting the deduction for the year (if I chose to deal with the BS it would entail).

Third: if he gets $5k behind, actual jail time, loss of license, etc. becomes involved.

The only one of the above that requires action on my part is the first one - and I can simply choose to do so or not. The rest are automatic. Woot!

I suspect he will make good on "enough" of the amount by the end of the year to avoid #2, and probably even #1 (as the hassle can far outweigh the benefits quickly).

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.