Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30468  
Subject: How many fingers? Date: 8/16/2002 4:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since starting Atkins about four weeks ago my vision's gone a little blurry. Can't focus as easily on things at any distance, especially short distances. Feel like I need reading glasses. Anyone else experience this or hear anything about it? Is it the diet? Can hormone level changes (insulin) affect eyesight? Or am I just getting older?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: greet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1406 of 30468
Subject: Re: How many fingers? Date: 8/16/2002 5:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Since starting Atkins about four weeks ago my vision's gone a little blurry.

That's a new one, and I bet the low fat, high carb proponents would jump on it if they could. "Stop eating fat or you'll go blind!" ;o)

Did you just turn forty? Because, I swear, the minute I did, my vision went all to hell.

I've heard nothing at all about low carbing causing changes in vision, except that somewhere in the dim recesses of my brain is something about weight gain or loss causing vision changes. This could be a figment of my over-forty imagination.

In any case, get thee to an opthalmologist. Vision changes are not to be played with.

greet.

Author: amiablejak Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1407 of 30468
Subject: Re: How many fingers? Date: 8/16/2002 5:35 PM
I was ready to read a post on how many unbreaded chicken fingers one could eat.... not that chickens actually have fingers.

Could potassium levels have anything to do with this?

jak

Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1408 of 30468
Subject: Re: How many fingers? Date: 8/16/2002 6:00 PM
Did you just turn forty? Because, I swear, the minute I did, my vision went all to hell.

Bingo.

The nearsightedness seemed to come on really quickly though, right after I started Atkins.

The reason I thought it might be related to the diet is that I remember than when my wife was pregnant her doctor told her no to be alarmed if her eyesight deteriorated a little due to the hormone changes. (I didn't know hormones affected eyesight. Go figure.)

It could just be that my eyesight has been getting worse for a while and turning 40 just made me more attentive and notice it.

Author: IronicFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1409 of 30468
Subject: Re: How many fingers? Date: 8/16/2002 6:02 PM
I was ready to read a post on how many unbreaded chicken fingers one could eat.... not that chickens actually have fingers.

Sorry to disappoint.

Could potassium levels have anything to do with this?

Dunno. Where does potassium come from and why might I not be getting enough of it? How does it affect eyesight?

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1410 of 30468
Subject: Re: How many fingers? Date: 8/16/2002 6:20 PM
I don't know if this helps… but I had almost the opposite thing happen to me. I work in front of a computer all day and had gotten very nearsighted in the last few years (and I'm only 28). But within a few weeks of starting Atkins, my vision improved noticeably…DH even noticed I wasn't squinting at signs as much, so I don't think it's just psychological. I have heard others mention improvements in vision, as well.

Now… this is more of a leap, but in order for my nearsightedness to improve, it means I got a little “more” farsighted, right? So maybe there is something in low carbing, or weight loss, that impacts eyesight. In your case it was a negative, but in mine a positive – but either way, we both got more farsighted. Interesting, for sure.

As far as potassium – I don't know if it has anything to do with eyesight, but potassium deficiency is a common side effect of weight loss. It's in a lot of foods such as spinach, avocado, etc. I also use “NoSalt,” which is a potassium based salt substitute. It tastes awful to me and nothing like salt, but I drink about ¼ tsp of it a day and wash it down with lots of water. The most noticeable thing if you have a potassium deficiency is leg cramps.

I'd recommend seeing an eye doctor just to be safe, but hope that info helps you some.

Nikki

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1412 of 30468
Subject: Re: How many fingers? Date: 8/16/2002 6:27 PM
Recommendations: 2
Greetings, IronicFelix, in addition to the visual changes that accompany turning 40 :-), there are other more immediate causes for blurry vision. One in particular of interest to dieters, possibly with high blood sugar, is that hyperglycemia induces an osmotic pressure on the lens of the eye which causes it to take on more fluid. Fluid shifts can have a pronounced effect on the clarity of vision. Even if you are not hyperglycemic, starting Atkins is known to involve fluid shifts and changes in blood pressure (if you were on high blood pressure medications, your dosages may need to be watched and maybe adjusted).

I agree that calling the eye doctor is always smart but just wanted to point out a less worrisome and not unexpected cause.

xraymd

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1433 of 30468
Subject: Re: How many fingers? Date: 8/18/2002 4:42 PM
Since starting Atkins about four weeks ago my vision's gone a little blurry. Can't focus as easily on things at any distance, especially short distances. Feel like I need reading glasses. Anyone else experience this or hear anything about it? Is it the diet? Can hormone level changes (insulin) affect eyesight? Or am I just getting older?

1. Go see a doctor about your eyes.

2. Are you taking the proper multivitamins as recommended by Dr. Atkins ?

3. Did you do a baseline bloodwork before starting the diet ? If yes, take the results to your doctor and compare them to results of current bloodwork.

4. Yes, you are getting older, we all are :-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement