UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: saunafool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61456  
Subject: Re: Paying For Obamacare Date: 3/29/2010 4:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 42
How many Nazi references did I see about George Bush during his Presidency?

I am violating my rule to ignore any thread that brings the Nazis into it. However, equating health care reform to nazism is ridiculous.

The references during the Bush Administration were related to things like secret prison camps, holding American citizens without trial, torture, wire-tapping, and starting the war in Iraq--all things that can quite easily be associated with a totalitarian regime. It was over the top, and I ignored all "Nazi" threads back then too.

In the case of Obama, the Democrats have just passed a major overhaul to the private health insurance industry. There is NO public insurance, much less hospitals or doctors in the employ of the Federal government included in the plan.

It only has anything to do with the Nazis in the paranoid world of the Tea Party. It is the old "first step" argument--first, they reform the private health insurance, then they create a public option, then the public option is the only option, then they start loading the unproductive people into gas chambers because they can't afford it.

Meanwhile, all of Western Europe has had national health insurance since the end of WWII and somehow they have not drifted into totalitarianism. Instead, people in most Western European nations have a lifestyle on par with Americans, and over the past 30 years, they have been moving towards more free markets.

So, maybe you think it is debate, but it isn't a rational debate of reality. It's a debate about a hyper-paranoid vision of the future that has a very limited and unsupportable basis in history.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Microsoft Admits Defeat and Wins?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement