Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.freep.com/article/20140602/BUSINESS07/306020099

Q: How much will most people need to live comfortably in retirement?

A: Exactly how much you'll need for retirement is complicated because there are so many variables, including your essential expenses (housing, food health care) and discretionary expenses (travel, clothes, entertainment, dining out). Everybody's situation is going to be a little different. People often underestimate how long they are going to live. A quarter of us will live into our early 90s, so we are really planning for a retirement that could last 30 years.

Fidelity offers this rule of thumb: Save at least eight times your final salary to help increase the odds that you won't outlive your savings during 30 years in retirement. This amount assumes that you'll get some money from Social Security and that your expenses after you retire will be lower than when you were working. Higher net-worth folks usually need to save more than eight times their final salary.

Looking for discussion. I've actually saved/invested/lucked into 8X salary already, but 5X that is real estate- my house and an rental. I've usually read to discount the value of my residence. I'm tracking my net worth, but for FIRE purposes, should I simply discount that Real Estate?

Thanks

Fredinseoul
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement