UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1961199  
Subject: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 5:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not much, if anything at all.
States
http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/state-employee-he...

federal
http://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/pa...

Are the poor subsidizing this?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899926 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 6:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
federal
http://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/pa......

Not sure what your link says (can't seem to get to it right now) but I pay a substantial amount toward my insurance. There are many options available to government workers, some of which are low cost and some of which are high cost. Working overseas I have different requirements than someone working in the states so obviously I'm going to pay more but most federal workers I know pay about the same as the contractors. I was a contractor for 30 years before becoming a federal employee and most of the companies I worked for were about 50/50, which seems to be about what I pay now.

Calabogie

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899929 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 6:19 AM
Not sure what your link says (can't seem to get to it right now) but I pay a substantial amount toward my insurance. There are many options available to government workers, some of which are low cost and some of which are high cost. Working overseas I have different requirements than someone working in the states so obviously I'm going to pay more but most federal workers I know pay about the same as the contractors. I was a contractor for 30 years before becoming a federal employee and most of the companies I worked for were about 50/50, which seems to be about what I pay now.

Calabogie

Well the federal link said they pay about 25 percent of whatever plan they chose and I believe it said it included family.

States were even more generous, paying all of it to just a very small percentage.

As an employer I pay it all for the union and for the office staff all of it, but with much higher deductibles, that we self-insure for.

Thanks for your input.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899931 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 6:20 AM
I wrote
States were even more generous, paying all of it to just a very small percentage.

oops make that
States were even more generous, paying all of it to the employee just a very small percentage.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899942 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 8:28 AM

No the middle and upper class are...the poor are barely paying enough in taxes.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899944 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 8:35 AM

No the middle and upper class are...the poor are barely paying enough in taxes.

Respectfully, I would say you are wrong

They just do not know they are, and the bill has not come due

The poor ARE subsidizing it. Once the money starts going out to pay the debt, because we start no longer having borrowers, they will pay, and the price will be terrible for them.

The are subsidizing it big time, on credit. No one is paying today.

The middle and upper class can not afford to pay. No one can.

Fortunately for every dollar we spend the government gets back 23.72, so we should all be rich in no time

Anyone believing what is going on can possible end well, is kidding themselves big time, Just as the thought that anyone is paying for what we are doing is delusion. The rich and middle class are certainly paying for a lot, but not near enough, that is why we are just printing a lot of money, and borrowing a lot more.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899961 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 10:07 AM
My husband pays 1/3 the cost of health insurance for the two of us as a SC state employee/retiree. We typically paid 1/5 to 1/4 the cost as employees of businesses.

My son, a MA public school teacher, was paying $100/month for single person's coverage a few years ago and says it's gone up considerably since then.

Don't confuse the great deals that federal and some big city workers get with the deals that most govt workers get.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1899975 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 11:00 AM
My husband pays 1/3 the cost of health insurance for the two of us as a SC state employee/retiree. We typically paid 1/5 to 1/4 the cost as employees of businesses.

My son, a MA public school teacher, was paying $100/month for single person's coverage a few years ago and says it's gone up considerably since then.

Don't confuse the great deals that federal and some big city workers get with the deals that most govt workers get.

The newer employees aren't getting those deals, if at all (if they get classified as a permanent sub or temporary), but I do believe the older ones are, wherein lies the problem.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1900099 of 1961199
Subject: Re: How much do gov workers pay for Health Ins? Date: 9/24/2013 9:46 PM
Not much, if anything at all.

Really? What do you consider the upper limit of not much?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement