UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886533  
Subject: How much does it cost to run a washing machine? Date: 2/24/2013 2:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This may be old news on this board. I'm new here.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html
How much does it cost to run a washing machine?
<snip>
Laundry is one of the easiest areas to reduce energy costs. Here's where the waste is:
--Water heating.
--Top-loading washers. Top-loading washers use ridiculous amounts of water and energy. That's why other countries use front-loading washers instead, and I recommend them enthusiastically. I cover front-loaders in more detail below.
--Drying water-laden clothes. Most washing machines leave far too much water in the clothes, making the dryer run much longer. Front-loaders get more of the water out of your clothes. You can also use a Spin Dryer to extract water from your clothes before drying.
--Unnecessary drying.

Heating the water is most of the energy use....

Laundry cost calculator on the page
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871917 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/24/2013 2:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
That's why other countries use front-loading washers instead, and I recommend them enthusiastically. I cover front-loaders in more detail below.

I am very disappointed with my front loading HE washing machine. The general upkeep needed to avoid mold is manageable, but the cost savings is over estimated because towels must always be run on sanitize cycle. There is also "cycle inflation" to get other items clean.

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871918 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/24/2013 2:46 PM
Recommendations: 5
I had a front loader that was nothing but trouble. Also, I could not soak clothes or use starch. I have a new, efficient top loader that has an extra drain and spin cycle, which I use so that my drying time is reduced.

I wouldn't recommend a front loader to anyone.

Andrea

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871919 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/24/2013 3:22 PM
Wouldn't reliability, cost of electricity and cost of water have a lot to do with it?

I haven't gotten around to buying my own washer & dryer, but I tend to think the front loaders at the laundromat work better. Mostly. They are less likely to get unbalanced, which is a biggie when you sort by color and one load is a mix of towels, sheets and clothing.

Either kind can do a poor job spinning the water out.

If I got my own washer & dryer I'd want to do a bit of research first.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871921 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/24/2013 4:28 PM
Recommendations: 3
Ummm. Usually I can get washing machines used for a few dollars or even for free.

I use water from my rain barrels for laundry.

So most costs are for laundry powder and not much else. Packing the water around is good upper body exercise.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871922 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/24/2013 4:40 PM
towels must always be run on sanitize cycle.

Why?

I realize laudrymate machines are different than home machines, but when I used to have to go to a laundrymate, for their front-loaders the cycle was the same whether you were washing towels or clothing.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871923 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/24/2013 8:36 PM
Why?

We were having problems with the towels not coming clean and developing a smell. We tried a number of different cycles. The only cycle where over time the towels don't smell is the sanitize cycle.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871925 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 8:16 AM
<snip>
Laundry is one of the easiest areas to reduce energy costs. Here's where the waste is:
--Water heating.
--Top-loading washers. Top-loading washers use ridiculous amounts of water and energy . . . .

Axe-u-lee, it all depends upon the top-loading mochine.
This one is very efficient (See; https://www.lehmans.com/p-3046-home-queen-wringer-washers.as... ) and you couple that with a solar-powered dryer (See; https://www.lehmans.com/p-4628-large-spinning-clothes-dryer.... ) you can save all kinds of water & energy, yes.
;-)

C.J.V. - mama used them for years, her

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871926 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 10:16 AM
I'm willing to waste water and electricity than use one of those washers.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871927 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 10:56 AM
=================================

But there is so much excitment when your fingers get too close to the wringer and your arm gets pulled in.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871928 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 11:07 AM

Its better than beating your clothes on a rock down by the stream.
;-)

C.J.V. - I always knew it was time to do laundry when the jeans I stood in the corner would start walking, me

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871929 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 1:36 PM

I have been rather envious of the pretty front loaded washer and dryers in red, grey, etc... but then I found out in addition to the already expensive washer and dryer, you have to buy the pedestal for both - which is kind of an expensive proposition - and that they apparently have problems with mold/are smelly and they I'm increasingly ok with sticking with my old school washer and dryer. When they finally die, maybe they'll have fixed the problems with the front loaders...(and hopefully the price will have dropped)

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871930 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 1:42 PM
... but then I found out in addition to the already expensive washer and dryer, you have to buy the pedestal for both -

I don't have a pedestal for my washing machine. It is at the same height as a standard dryer. If you want them higher, you can either buy the pedestal or make one.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871931 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 2:14 PM
I have been rather envious of the pretty front loaded washer and dryers in red, grey, etc... but then I found out in addition to the already expensive washer and dryer, you have to buy the pedestal for both -

=================================

I didn't get the pedestals. Mine are side by side. My kid stacked his dryer on the washer. He doesn't have the washer on a pedestal. I have a cupboard above the washer dryer or I would do the same.

I will never go back to a top loader, but that's just me.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871932 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 3:01 PM
I didn't get the pedestals. Mine are side by side. My kid stacked his dryer on the washer. He doesn't have the washer on a pedestal. I have a cupboard above the washer dryer or I would do the same.

No pedestals here, either. Would not stack even if I could. My washer's vibration on spin would probably knock the dryer off the top.

Chili

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871933 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 3:07 PM
No pedestals here, either. Would not stack even if I could. My washer's vibration on spin would probably knock the dryer off the top.

Chili
===================================

His were designed to be able to be stacked. I often wondered about the vibration. I'll have to be there when they wash a load. It's been stacked for over a year now at two differnt homes. I don't remember the brand.

Jean

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871934 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 3:15 PM
I will never go back to a top loader, but that's just me.

A front loader is gentler on clothes. It has a steam refresh cycle which I have used a couple of times.

Overall, it is a love/hate relationship.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871935 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 3:20 PM
My washer's vibration on spin would probably knock the dryer off the top.

Chili

Vibration has been minimal compared to a top loader. You don't have pedestals, which seem to increase vibration. Is it possible that the washer isn't installed properly?

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871936 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 4:13 PM
Recommendations: 8
Overall, it is a love/hate relationship.

Too bad there's no such thing as a front-loader you can tip-over on the side for when you want a top loader for soaking.

We need more female engineers making home appliances.

Author: alix17 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871937 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 9:05 PM
Recommendations: 4
We need more female engineers making home appliances.

Or more male engineers who do the family wash.

alix

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871938 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/25/2013 11:02 PM
Or more male engineers who do the family wash.

Quiet you!

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871941 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/26/2013 9:39 AM
Happy 'loons PSU!

GSF

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871948 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/26/2013 3:44 PM
Recommendations: 2

Four quarters for the standard machine and six quarters for the big one.

Can't believe nobody came up with that already.

xtn

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871949 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 2/26/2013 3:49 PM
No quarters at my apt complex.

We've got these card thingies that you have use a CC to load and you load it with multiples of $10 at a time.

Wash costs $1.50, dry is $1.25. No options for adding extra mins to dry time.

Ishtar
(hates the system - but apparently the machines were always being broken into for the $$$ on the old way)

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872563 of 886533
Subject: Re: How much does it cost to run a washing machi Date: 3/22/2013 12:29 AM
Linda, I have a top-loading washer, but dry my clothes outdoors, not for the cost, but for the scent the clothes emit from air and sun drying outdoors. Rarely, do I use hot or warm water, except for my cotton whites.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement