Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bether One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: How much is enough? Date: 7/14/2000 11:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Warning: long post.

I posted this on my Rule Maker Seminar board, but thought it Foolish to get this board's comments as well...

I hear a lot of the emphasis on saving for retirement (which does need to be a priority), but once I know I'm okay with the amount I have in investments (401(k), Roth IRA, etc.) I don't want to be setting money aside for retirement at the expense of other legitimate needs. And, I guess I don't know when there is "enough" socked away for retirement.

I'm almost 30, and my husband and I have about $45k in retirement accounts of one form or another. (And he is still contributing to his current 401(k)). If we get a return of 10%, which I hope to beat, in 35 years we'll have almost half a million dollars. Even after Uncle Sam takes his share, that's still quite sufficient to live on! (And that's the minimum return I hope to get!)

So I guess my real question is, how do I know that I have enough for retirement so I can start directing some of the money that I could allocate for Roth IRA contributions, etc., toward saving for our next home, kids' college, etc.

We live below our means on my husband's salary, and our only debt is our mortgage - but since I'm a stay-at-home Mom, we don't have that much extra money each month and I want to be Foolish about where that money goes.

PS We were able to accumulate so much in our retirement accounts because all I knew about saving for retirement when I starting working after college was "direct as much as you can, as early as you can toward your retirement" -- and that limited knowledge has reaped great rewards.

I guess this "newbie" is looking for someone to say "Hey - you have enough for retirement already -- direct that cold cash to something else!"

It's a good "problem" to have.

Beth
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement