UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881805  
Subject: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 9/28/2012 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just started a new job, and so am getting a new cell phone. I'd like to get the new iPhone5, and notice that it comes with several different sizes of memory. I'm thinking that the 16GB should be more than sufficient, but thought I'd see if anyone has any opinions or input on that before I do it as I should have this phone for the next 2 years. Any reason that I would need to have more than that 16GB?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867612 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 9/28/2012 4:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Depends on what you are doing with it. How big is your Itunes movie collection? Are there any work specific apps you need to run? Are you going to do things like carry your medical, veterinary, or auto records on it? Do you want to download the nightly news and watch it at the gym? Games and children's apps take up a lot of space (but boy are they a lifesaver in waiting rooms with a toddler).

I have 16 GB on my iPhone 4, and unfortunately since I have a lot of music, I can't do things like load TV shows or movies on it. I don't even have all my music on my phone! I won't upgrade until the iPhone 5 has 32 standard.

Lara Amber

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867613 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 9/28/2012 4:07 PM
Movies? On a phone? That's not even on my radar screen as something I'd be wanting to do. So is the additional memory really only needed for streaming applications? If that's the case, then I definitely will be fine with the 16GB.

I have an iPhone4 from the last job. How would I find out how much memory it has or how much I might have used? That would probably be a good data point.

I do take some pictures, but not a ton.

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867614 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 9/28/2012 4:17 PM
I have an iPhone4 from the last job. How would I find out how much memory it has or how much I might have used? That would probably be a good data point.

Settings>>General>>Usage

Author: MetroChick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867617 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 9/28/2012 5:07 PM
The iPhone 5 16GB really has 13.4GB as available space.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867620 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 9/28/2012 6:23 PM
It's kind of driven by your i-tunes usage. I got 64 and that's overkill. But 16 might have been too little.

I plan on not upgrading for a while, and wanted to be sure it would last me - but yeah, 64 isn't needed.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867621 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 9/28/2012 7:22 PM
Recommendations: 3
Settings>>General>>Usage

Thanks. I just checked my iPhone 4, and I have only used 2.3GB, with over 11GB available. Sounds like the base 16GB model will be more than enough for my use.

I knew the folks here would be able to help me!

Author: VUCommodore Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867674 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 10/2/2012 11:31 AM
Recommendations: 1
You do not need more than 16gb unless one of the following applies:
(1) You want to store several hours of HD video on your phone.
(2) You want to store over a thousand songs on your phone.
(3) You want to save your entire lifetime photo library on your phone.

It is effectively impossible to desire more than maybe 5gb of applications on your phone, even if you are a super high-end user. My advice is that if you have to ask the question, you probably do not have any need for over 16gb.

I have a 16gb iphone. Presently, I have stored about 200 songs, 50 apps, about 100 photos, and half a season of Game of Thrones in HD on my phone, and I have about 6gb of memory left. The half-season of HD video takes up about 7gb, the rest combined takes about 3 GB.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867675 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 10/2/2012 11:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
It is effectively impossible to desire more than maybe 5gb of applications on your phone, even if you are a super high-end user. My advice is that if you have to ask the question, you probably do not have any need for over 16gb.

Not really. Infinity Blade is 1GB, Infinity Blade II is 1.2GB, Real Racing 2 is 1GB, and a couple of the Madden games are close to a GB.

A couple of the birdwatching apps I have are absolute space hogs.

Depends on what kinds of apps you're talking about.

GSF

(no, I don't play the aforementioned, but I've got two boys and I keep them on my phone)

Author: VUCommodore Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867677 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 10/2/2012 1:25 PM
I stand corrected! I use a wide variety of business-relevant apps and had never seen anything close to that. Thanks for the heads up.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867758 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 10/4/2012 10:01 AM
It's kind of driven by your i-tunes usage. I got 64 and that's overkill. But 16 might have been too little.

I plan on not upgrading for a while, and wanted to be sure it would last me - but yeah, 64 isn't needed.

A work phone's requirement is driven by i-tunes usage?

Seems odd to me. I don't have an iAnything but I find my smartphone's memory taken up mostly with jobsite pictures, large pdf files of construction drawing sets, etc. I've only got 16gig and I'm constantly having to remove files I'm not using any more to make room for new jobs.

xtn

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868303 of 881805
Subject: Re: how much memory on iPhone? Date: 10/19/2012 11:27 AM
For future reference: There is an iOS board here, and that's definitely a good place to ask questions about iPhones (and iPads, and iPod touches).

Here's a link: http://boards.fool.com/ios-help-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-11973...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement