UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 449183  
Subject: Re: Trend:Laser mining Date: 12/13/2012 8:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
how much power would be need to power a laser for Gold mining and Geothermal energy, to quarrying stone and building tunnels and how would you get the power source in situ????

I do not know how much power would be required, but the company seems to think they can get it into the ground.

We deliver multi-kW laser power over multi-mile distances.

In the past 15 years, high power fiber laser costs have dropped by 100X+ with modular, solid state construction for rugged field transportation. However, long distance transmission of high power lasers was believed to be impossible due to physics limitations known as Stimulated Brillouin Scattering (SBS) and other nonlinear effects.

Foro Energy’s proprietary technology overcomes these and other limitations to allow “world first” transmission of:

High power, by overcoming SBS
Over long distances, by overcoming SBS
With low loss, through a proprietary fiber optic specification
In downhole environments, through a proprietary cabling package

It looks like from the website that the first customer will be energy. That would make sense as the tight gas and oil requires many wells with multiple horizontal legs. There is a need for speed.

However, the Colorado school of mines is interested also. So, I suspect that there is a mining application.

I think we are talking a few years hence before we can invest ??

I think we are talking forever before we can invest. The two venture capital companies that are invested are not public. ARPA-E which is also invested is a government agency.

I suppose you could invest in Cheveron, ConocoPhillips, GE and NRG, but that would probably be like buying seawater for the gold.

I brought it up because in ground rock cutting sped up by a factor of four or more would have MACRO impacts. The spread of Fracking and recovering tight gas and oil could become very wide spread, depressing the price of oil and upsetting the current geopolitical and geoeconomic situation.

Where the Haynesville Shale was the first slip of the avalanche, this and other technologies are starting to snowball.

While finding more energy is good, and finding it spread around the world would be even better, and being able to produce at economy friendly prices is outstanding. The current economic structure depends on something completely different.

As investors we must be ahead of the curve. Not so much so that we can invest ahead of the curve, that is speculation, rather so we can be ready emotionally to make the choices when they finally appear in invest able forms.

Cheers
Qazulight
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement