UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757857  
Subject: How much should a hip replacement cost? Date: 2/12/2013 8:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This story certainly illustrates the need for price transparency in health care.

Does this mean a person should comparison shop before a possible emergency event?

I wonder if certain hospitals are lower for all health care services or just for certain specialties?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57568775/how-much-should...

They found prices can range from $11,100 to almost $126,000 for the same procedure. That is, if the hospital would even provide researchers with a price quote.

For the study, researchers randomly called two hospitals from each U.S. state between May 2011 and July 2012, in addition to calling the top 20 orthopedic hospitals as ranked by U.S. News and World Report. Using a script, they asked for the lowest "bundled price" for an elective total hip replacement for the caller's 62-year-old uninsured grandmother. Each hospital was contacted up to five times and in the cases a hospital would only provide associated hospital costs instead of surgical costs, researchers randomly contacted orthopedic surgery clinics affiliated with the hospitals.

The findings were published Feb. 11 in JAMA Internal Medicine.
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=15698...

The researchers found only nine of the top ranked hospitals and 10 of the non-top-ranked hospitals were able to give complete price quotes. At top-ranked hospitals the prices ranged from $12,500 to $105,000 and at non-top-ranked hospitals that provided quotes, prices ranged from $11,100 to $125,798.

Researchers were able to obtain a total of 64 price quotes from the 102-non-ranked hospitals, but with the exception of those 10, they had to call both the hospital and surgeon's practice to price together a quote. Twenty-two of the non-ranked hospitals were able to give partial prices, and 16 could not give any price whatsoever. The study did not look specifically about what factors made a hospital more likely to give a full quote, but the data showed hospitals in the Midwest were more likely to provide a price quote and those in the Northeast were less likely.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671391 of 757857
Subject: Re: How much should a hip replacement cost? Date: 2/13/2013 10:57 AM
Recommendations: 7
...they had to call both the hospital and surgeon's practice to price together a quote...

That's because the physician IS NOT an employee of the hospital. Although that trend is slowly changing, and in most cases for the worst.

However, here is another trend...

http://reason.com/reasontv/2012/11/15/the-obamacare-revolt-o...

it has gotten attention every now and then. Physician owned hospitals. The one is this story posts its prices, basically flat rate so you can shop around.

However, I take this with a grain of salt as well, being the cynic that I am. Why? We have a couple of physician owned "pseudo-hospitals" in town. Basically glorified surgery centers. What do these greedy jackwagons do? Keep all the insured patients. The only time I ever see them at my place is under 3 circumstances: patient has no insurance or at best Medicare/Medicaid, patient is very sick, or its after hours/weekend and they don't want to pay their staff overtime.

Here is some food for thought to further show you how jacked up Medicare/Medicaid is. Take the given hip replacement surgery. M/M will pay the surgeon either for the surgery itself or for the many days of required follow up, not both. Most surgeons take the pay for the follow up and do the surgery for "free". On my end of the deal, I can get paid for doing anesthesia for the case or for the post-op pain epidural management, not both. What some groups do is work around this by having one partner place the epidural and another partner do the anesthesia. How jacked up is that?

Yes, please, give me more government.

Ok, rant over. I do think pricing should be more up front, but you're not going to get it until all 3rd parties are out of the equation.

JLC

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671396 of 757857
Subject: Re: How much should a hip replacement cost? Date: 2/13/2013 11:07 AM
Recommendations: 1
You think, as a physician, that you know more than 0bama what is best for everyone's health care and how to run a practice? What arrogance!

Author: THEMATHISNEAR Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671542 of 757857
Subject: Re: How much should a hip replacement cost? Date: 2/14/2013 10:32 AM
Recommendations: 4
You have to wonder how clueless some people must be in order to believe the fantasy that adding more Government bureaucracy is going to make something more efficient, or more to the point, better in any respect. Government bureaucracy rewards those who are better at 'playing the system', either by figuring out a way to game it, or by simply buying political patronage to get favored treatment by those in power. Those who don't realize this are idiots, fools and suckers, but those are the people that make the best prey for demagogues who promise anything to stay in power, and blame others when it (inevitably and by design) doesn't work.

The reason I was surprised that Romney didn't beat Obama like Reagan beat Carter (the fecklessness of Obama and Carter are quite comparable) was that I overestimated the common sense of Americans and the discipline of conservatives to get to the polls. Collectively, we asked for another term of fecklessness and demagoguery, and we're going to get it, good and hard.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671543 of 757857
Subject: Re: How much should a hip replacement cost? Date: 2/14/2013 11:10 AM
Recommendations: 3
The reason I was surprised that Romney didn't beat Obama like Reagan beat Carter (the fecklessness of Obama and Carter are quite comparable) was that I overestimated the common sense of Americans and the discipline of conservatives to get to the polls. Collectively, we asked for another term of fecklessness and demagoguery, and we're going to get it, good and hard.

You underestimated the press being a corrupt propaganda wing of the DNC.

Had the press lied about Carter's actions in foreign affairs during the Presidential debates and refused to cover anything regarding Iraq as well as make an all out effort to blame the inflation at the time on Nixon , then Reagan never would have won.

The press in the last election was corrupt beyond all comprehension if one discounts outright undilute3d propaganda

MsNBC an outlet of the mainstream NBC -- had the same motto for the election as the President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read that again, FORWARD, everytime you turned on MsNBC it was right there. What level of corruption will you accept once you get to that point. Frankly I still can not imagine that this happened in America and I was here!

That liberals do not see this as not so bad that they have to act rationally and put an end to it, well it makes me very scared about the Jedi's and Dope's thought process. We do not have to go deeper into the abyss, if we go in, we are not coming out, this has to stop now.

Making believe it is not happening or hoping it gets worse so it will get better? This is a cancer, not a 24hr bug, I do not have a solution, but I do know better than to feed it.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671544 of 757857
Subject: Re: How much should a hip replacement cost? Date: 2/14/2013 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 0
You underestimated the press being a corrupt propaganda wing of the DNC.

Here's Howard Kurtz, who allegedly airs a program every Sunday that takes "a critical look at the media," defending the media's lack of inquisitiveness about drones.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2163402175001/howard-kurtz-enters...

The media is incorrigible.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement