UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Aida2003 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76074  
Subject: How should DH & DW invest their assets? Date: 3/5/2004 4:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools,
I'd like to ask your opinion(s) how a couple should invest their assets for retirement since a wife and a husband have their separate 401(k) and (Roth)IRAs.
I'll take a specific example.
Me, I opened an Roth IRA and opted to invest in Vanguard's Target Retirement Fund 2045 though I think I'll retire a few years earlier than 2045 (at least, I hope so).

My DH intends to transfer his Roth IRA from a credit union to Vanguard. But my question is whether it's OK (based on the assumption that we'll never get divorced) to keep BOTH Roth IRAs in the same Target Fund 2045 (or even 2025 because he would retire in 25-30 years).

I'm curious how other Fools manage their family's retirement investments when it involves separate investing for a wife and a husband. Do you both invest your 401(k)'s, IRAs in similar fund families, mutual funds?

In addition, if we still have extra available dollars for taxable investing, would you advice to invest in a different fund family (we are with Vanguard, so maybe we should go with Fidelity for taxable investments?) or just select different funds within Vanguard?

I hope you understand what concerns I'm trying to express here.
In summary my questions are:

1. How much of overlap is good/bad between retirement accounts of a DH and a DW?
2. How much of overlap is OK between retirement accounts and taxable accounts?
3. Are there any research studies performed how married couples should invest their separate retirement accounts in order not to end up in the same plunge should the market go south?

Looking at funds' holdings, it seems they have similar companies in their portfolios except that their proportions vary.

Thank you for your insight.

Aida

PS. We are in the middle on the "Aggressive-Conservative" investing style scale. We are definitely NOT aggressive, but more prone towards conservatism should you have any suggestions of the funds to consider.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement