No. of Recommendations: 0
can they shut down all the transit lines but keep offices open? Just how are folks supposed to get to work? Plus public schools are closed - what are parents supposed to do with those kids?

I'm lucky in that I work from home 3 days a week (and can work from home all week if need be) -- as long as the power doesn't go out!

Christina
Print the post Back To Top
Maybe they're expecting a lot of offices to close too. Or.....go spend the night there! ;-)

Re parents and kids suddenly home from school.... If there's at least one parent who won't be working because the office is closed, or inaccessible because there's no public transportation--then problem solved. And I assume that will be the circumstance with a number of families. For those who still have a problem, then find a friend/neighbor/whatever who will be home, and the kid(s) spend the day there.

My husband's at the NYU Medical Center, and they're closed. The Rusk Institute is being evacuated. I work from home, but my problem is that our landline and internet connection are Verizon, and when there's a huge rainfall, the cables get wet and we lose EVERYTHING. And it's such a fight to get things restored in reasonable time. An important part of my work relies on having the internet. So....that's what has me most apprehensive. And the chance that our downstairs will flood--if the building's basement pumps fail or are overwhelmed.

sheila
No. of Recommendations: 2
My two personal concerns are electricity and water. I have flashlights, batteries and candles. And I will fill up the bathtub with water. (Also have plenty of bottled water on hand to drink.)

I have been through too many hurricanes, and know the drills all too well. I suffered through severe damage from Floyd and Irene (upstate NY) and Wilma (Florida).

Here's another tip: Fill EVERY pot in your house with water. Last year, when Irene hit, we were out of power for six or seven days, and those pots filled with water were a GODSEND! I mean, ya gotta flush sometimes, y'know, and that tub water goes too quickly.

And having those extra pots on hand made a huge difference. Right before the power came back on, we were down to using them.

Good luck to all!

Barbara
Home Fool
Got lots of water! Two lawn carts stand in my yard, filled to the brims with water. If need be, we can always trek down to my spring fed pond.
The wind could be a concern and to that I have already taken down our flag; a couple of years ago I lost a flag pole due to wind.
Our property lies uphill, so I am not very concerned with flooding.
I do have a generator and have a workman laboring to assure its proper function.
The kitty cats are inside and I am ready to relax after a two-day stay at the Albany VA Hospital for a esophagogastroduodenoscopy; yeah, say that three times fast!

Good Luck, all!
Grumpy in Masonville
The kitty cats are inside and I am ready to relax after a two-day stay at the Albany VA Hospital for a esophagogastroduodenoscopy; yeah, say that three times fast!

Hope the test results were all good, Grumpy.

Unlike last year when Irene did little damage downstate but a LOT of damage upstate (some of which has not yet been recovered from), it appears that Sandy will be the opposite and is currently kicking us in the butt here downstate. But I guess it is possible that you will get some snow.

Good Luck, all!

Yep, good luck to all.

Christina
But I guess it is possible that you will get some snow.

Compared to last year, the weather is windy, rainy and somewhat warm.
Last year, we had snow!
http://grumpybiker.multiply.com/photos/album/5/Travels#photo...

Sandy didn't bother us too much at our location. Unfortunately the downstaters really bore the brunt of weather event.

Regards,
Grumpy in Masonville
Hi Grumpy -

Is that test also easier to take than the cleanout before it?

Best wishes,

A/L
Is that test also easier to take than the cleanout before it?

Well, the actual tests are nothing; one is "knocked out" and remembers nothing.
But yes, the week or so before the "test" is the PITA! One can eat almost nothing and also has to suspend taking any sort of pain meds, etc. A week without Excedrin, etc. is very difficult!
Regards,
Grumpy
Advertisement