UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947775  
Subject: How the major parties shut out third parties Date: 10/4/2012 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Behind the Secret Republican and Democrat Effort to Shut Out Third Parties

Posted: 10/04/2012 2:26 pm

The first debate of the 2012 presidential election aired last night with Republican Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama going head to head about several issues affecting the United States. Missing from the stage in Denver, however, were all of the third party candidates.

That's why Democracy Now! took a look at how the Democrats and Republicans manage to shut out all third parties from the presidential debates. The Obama and Romney campaigns have secretly negotiated a detailed contract that dictates many of the terms of the 2012 presidential debates. This includes who gets to participate, as well as the topics raised during the debates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/democracy-now/post_3962_b_1939...

It is no accident that third parties never get established in the US. The Republicans plus the Democrats make the laws and neither party wants any additional competition.

Peter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821215 of 1947775
Subject: Re: How the major parties shut out third parties Date: 10/4/2012 4:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It is no accident that third parties never get established in the US. The Republicans plus the Democrats make the laws and neither party wants any additional competition.

Yes, and the political duopoly makes a mockery of our democracy.

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821217 of 1947775
Subject: Re: How the major parties shut out third parties Date: 10/4/2012 4:39 PM
Liberal and dependent voters shut out third parties, because there enough of them who will vote lock stop Democrat that if everyone else split votes on Dem/Rep/Third party the Dems would win everytime, until the liberal/dependent voters find it within themselves to entertain a third party, voting for a third party will guarantee a win for democrats.

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821336 of 1947775
Subject: Re: How the major parties shut out third parties Date: 10/5/2012 8:56 AM
Recommendations: 1

As my old CO used to say, "Abso-f***in'-lutely!" Reason did a good piece on this as well. If I'm not mistaken (I could be) Gary Johnson (the Libertarian candidate) is on the ballot in 47 states. The GOP is fighting to get his name off the ballot in PA and some other states and the fact that a legal challenge to get on the ballot would cost upwards of $200,000.00 has kept the Consitution Party off ballots in PA and other states.

If I could ask for one thing in the US political system it would be for any candidate who can garner 250,000 signatures to be put on the ballot in all 50 states. There's no reason they should be excluded if they can get 250,000 verified signatures and adding them to the ballot would at least allow people to see that they had choices other than the 2 major parties.

Calabogie

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821423 of 1947775
Subject: Re: How the major parties shut out third parties Date: 10/5/2012 11:56 AM
Liberal and dependent voters shut out third parties, because there enough of them who will vote lock stop Democrat that if everyone else split votes on Dem/Rep/Third party the Dems would win everytime, until the liberal/dependent voters find it within themselves to entertain a third party, voting for a third party will guarantee a win for democrats.

Two words - Ralph Nader.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement