UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: strovek Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66  
Subject: How to categorize stocks Date: 7/8/2005 6:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am relative new in investing and was wandering how stocks are categorized - Large Cap, Small Cap and MicroCap.

I understand MicroCap is also known as Penny stock. Can somebody enlighten me? I noticed several discussion boards here were closed because they are considered Penny stocks.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38 of 66
Subject: Re: How to categorize stocks Date: 7/8/2005 8:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Microcap and Penny Stocks are not the same thing. Penny Stocks have to do with the price per share, when they are under a dollar or counted by pennies. Microcap has to do with the value of the company (all the outstanding shares multiplied the share price). Microcap companies have really small valuations, where as small, mid and large cap have increasingly larger valuations.

Fuskie
Who does not have the actual valuation breakdowns but hopes this helps...

Author: invertirmenor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39 of 66
Subject: Re: How to categorize stocks Date: 7/8/2005 8:53 PM
Micro Cap companies generally have a market cap under $100 million

Small Cap from $100 million to $2 billion

Mid Cap's are generally anywhere from $2 billion to $8-$10 billion

Large caps are over ten billion

market cap is share price x amount of shares

-Mike

Author: Todd212 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40 of 66
Subject: Re: How to categorize stocks Date: 7/10/2005 11:54 PM
For definitions like microcap, small cap, mega cap, etc.--

http://investopedia.com/dictionary

To quickly find whether a stock is small, medium or large--

http://morningstar.com
type in the stock symbol at the top, and then click on "data interpreter" on the right

(works for mutual fund symbols too--will tell you, on the whole, the average size of the stocks owned by the fund--just need to type the fund's symbol in at the top of morningstar.com)

--Todd

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement