Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: crscotttexas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27636  
Subject: How to compare fund to S&P 500? Date: 12/16/2004 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ok, here's a really basic question:

How do you compare a fund with the S&P 500? For example, I have a fund in my 401k which claims that as of August 31, it has a YTD return of 11.13%. How do you determine the S&P return for the same period?

Also, is there some way to compare other non-standard periods? For example, if I got into that fund on April 13, 2004, is there some way to compare its performance to that of the S&P?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8659 of 27636
Subject: Re: How to compare fund to S&P 500? Date: 12/16/2004 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings,

How do you compare a fund with the S&P 500?

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Fund/TotalReturns.asp?Country=USA&Symbol=VFINX&fdtab=returns would be one example comparing Vanguard's 500 Index(VFINX) to the S & P 500 using M*'s data.

For example, I have a fund in my 401k which claims that as of August 31, it has a YTD return of 11.13%. How do you determine the S&P return for the same period?

You could try http://www.barra.com/Research/ReturnCharts.aspx for one idea if you want to see monthly returns.

Also, is there some way to compare other non-standard periods?

You could use historical quotes of the index for one idea here.

For example, if I got into that fund on April 13, 2004, is there some way to compare its performance to that of the S&P?

I think you could chart this on Moneycentral's site if you use the Growth of $10,000. This would also allow for a comparison against something like SPY or VFINX which would be a better benchmark than the index itself as nothing returns the exact value of the index.

Regards,
JB

Author: crscotttexas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8669 of 27636
Subject: Re: How to compare fund to S&P 500? Date: 12/18/2004 1:09 AM
Thanks, JB:

I quickly read your post, but haven't had time to fully analyze it and play on the sites you mentioned. But I did want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement