Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
While finishing my 2011 tax return, I discovered an error on the 2008 return. I will need to file an amended return by April 15 in order to meet the three year deadline. While working on the amended return, I see that I have a $136 excess contribution to a Roth IRA. How do I resolve this issue? Do I file the amended return including the $136 and deal with that piece later or do I try to remove the excess first then amend? TIA.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.