Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Mistake 1. In 97 I made nondeductible contibution to IRA. In the beginning of 98 before filing 97 tax returned I converted it into ROTH. I did not file 8606 in 97. Recently I found out that there is $50 penalty for not filing the form. Now I have to file 8606 for 98 and show my 97 IRA basis. Is there a way to avoid $50 for 97?

Mistake 2. In 98 I made regular IRA contribution (I am eligible to deduct it for this year). Later I changed my mind and decided that I would rather go Roth. My 101K AGI for 98 allowes me to make Roth contribution, but does not allow me to make conversion. I did not file tax return yet. Is there any way out?
If not, I can deduct my regular IRA contribution, so my AGI falls below 100K. In this case can my husband convert his IRA to ROTH? In other words do IRA deductions affect AGI for conversion purpose?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.