Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

The folks over at LBYM suggested I post this question here. Long story short (I hope), currently and in years past, we've employed young ladies (between 17 and 35) to help tutor the Ducklings after school and help them with homework, laundry (teaching them to do their own), and taking them to extra-curricular activities. It's been easy, I've had each tutor set up in Quickbooks and getting the proper taxes and stuff (SS,FICA, etc) integrated into their paychecks. Works well.

Now I have an even bigger problem. Current tutor will be going to college this fall and we've found a new tutor. However, she is a German resident under a 3-year student visa. She would be working part-time like the others have (12-20 hours per week, average). But she obviously doesn't have an SSN (duh), but I'm not sure how to attack everything else, and I assume taxes need to be paid here, even as a foreign worker.

Any suggestions, or BETTER boards to hit to address this topic?

Thanks, Fools!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.