UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189581  
Subject: How to decompress Z01,Z02,Z03 files? Date: 5/28/2008 12:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

Come across a file that is broken into Z01, Z02, Z03 files, to be joined together. This doesn't confirm to any file format I can find.

Anyone know what this is and which app joins these kind of files?

Thanks,
Petey
Print the post Back To Top
Author: stocks2grow Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143184 of 189581
Subject: Re: How to decompress Z01,Z02,Z03 files? Date: 5/28/2008 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
A couple things that might help... what OS are you using? Also, did you (or your system somehow) do a chkdsk (the DOS check disk command) recently, or ever? I think in the back of my mind those extensions are disconnected files that were saved as part of a chkdsk. Basically they are leftovers of files that got unlinked at some time, and I think you can open them and copy/paste whatever remains of them into a new file (if they are text). Not sure you can completely recover them.

... or I could be completely mistaken in which case i apologize :-)

Good luck, I want to see what others tell you, too.

Mike

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143185 of 189581
Subject: Re: How to decompress Z01,Z02,Z03 files? Date: 5/28/2008 12:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
Holy bloody devil, that's old. I'll bet each of those files is also 360k, 720k, 1.2M, or 1.4M in size, apart from the last one. I'm not sure if modern ZIP utilities like WinZIP or 7-Zip will be able to do anything with those files as they currently exist, but if not, you can try the following:
- Copy all the files to a known location (C:\test, for example)
- Open a command line window, and change to that directory
- Enter the command "copy file.z01 + file.z02... + file.z99 > bigfile.zip" (however many .z?? files there are)
- Attempt to open bigfile.zip with windows, winzip, etc.

If that works, great. If not, search out an old DOS program called (I think) "splice". Good luck!

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143186 of 189581
Subject: Re: How to decompress Z01,Z02,Z03 files? Date: 5/28/2008 2:15 PM
Here's some more info: http://filext.com/file-extension/Z01

Bob

Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143230 of 189581
Subject: Re: How to decompress Z01,Z02,Z03 files? Date: 5/30/2008 3:29 AM
Hmm.. interesting replies!

Don't think the files are old at all. They just seemed to be a large file split up.

Will try the copy command and see how that works out.

Petey

Holy bloody devil, that's old. I'll bet each of those files is also 360k, 720k, 1.2M, or 1.4M in size, apart from the last one. I'm not sure if modern ZIP utilities like WinZIP or 7-Zip will be able to do anything with those files as they currently exist, but if not, you can try the following:
- Copy all the files to a known location (C:\test, for example)
- Open a command line window, and change to that directory
- Enter the command "copy file.z01 + file.z02... + file.z99 > bigfile.zip" (however many .z?? files there are)
- Attempt to open bigfile.zip with windows, winzip, etc.

If that works, great. If not, search out an old DOS program called (I think) "splice". Good luck!

Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143261 of 189581
Subject: Re: How to decompress Z01,Z02,Z03 files? Date: 5/30/2008 6:45 PM
Google on HJSPLIT

Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 143468 of 189581
Subject: Re: How to decompress Z01,Z02,Z03 files? Date: 6/5/2008 4:05 AM
I'll give this a go. Thanks very much.

Petey

Google on HJSPLIT

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement