UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: katiewa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 91  
Subject: how to evaluate Date: 4/12/2012 11:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Browsing around CraigsList last night and came across a river-front (fishing, canoeing) property for a slightly lower-than-average price about an hour away. In looking through VRBO, most vacation rentals in that area are already fully (or nearly) booked for summer, 2012, regardless of price ($100-$800) or maximum number of guests (4-30). Several have bookings for April and May, a few have them for December, 2012.

The house in question has not been used as a vacation rental previously, so there is no history. However, the current owner decided last week to rent it out this year (through a property manager), and already has 5 bookings.

I have not yet seen the house. However, the location (based on Google Earth and county maps) is excellent--private but not remote: a 5-house subdivision surrounded by state and federal land, 1/2 mile from the highway. The area is known for fly-fishing, boating, and Yellowstone in the summer, and snow-mobiling and cross-country skiing in the winter, so the house has year-round potential. Because real estate is so depressed in our area, there is significant appreciation potential over the next decade.

What other questions do I need to be asking as I consider this property?

Thanks.

Kathleen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement