UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bbarry Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: how to exit a foolish annuity Date: 12/31/1999 5:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do I get out of a tax deferred annuity so that I can use the money in a less foolish manner now that I have found the fools? It is the only excess cash I have. THANKS
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17176 of 76237
Subject: Re: how to exit a foolish annuity Date: 1/1/2000 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Bbarry, and welcome. You asked:

<<How do I get out of a tax deferred annuity so that I can use the money in a less foolish manner now that I have found the fools? >>

If this is a tax sheltered annuity purchased with after-tax dollars, simply surrender the contract to the issuer. You may have to pay surrender fees when you do. After those fees are asssessed, any amount of the net proceeds that exceed your original cost must be declared as income for the year and it will be taxed. Additionally, if you're younger than age 59 1/2, you will be assessed a 10% early withdrawal penalty on that gain.

Regards...Pixy

Author: gwgross Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17282 of 76237
Subject: Re: how to exit a foolish annuity Date: 1/3/2000 1:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
Another option is to contact the annuity holder and see if you can do a rollover to a self directed IRA. Set your SDIRA up with someone and then have them fill out the papers for the annuity transfer.

It is important that the check not come to you, but go directly to the agent holding your SDIRA. You might still have to pay a surrender fee, but you will avoid the 10% penalty and will not lose the tax defered status.

If you annuity holder is like most, this will be a difficult process, but you shold be able to accomplish it through persitence and perserverance.

I am working on this for my wife's annuity from a 401K.

Good luck,

G Wayne

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement