UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Simon001 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196  
Subject: How to invest for my daughter? Date: 5/12/2007 9:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

I'm of British / Canadian nationality and I live in Japan. I have a daughter 2 years of age. My parents live in England (mother) and Canada (father) and they are saving on behalf of their granddaughter.

I would like to invest this money in shares on her behalf.

Does anyone know what would be best in my situation? As I see it, my options are : -

1) To get the grandparents each to open brokerage accounts in her name in their countries and nominate me as trustee so that I can invest the cash;

2) To pool the money in Japan in a brokerage account in trust in her name with me as trustee.

The former looks more attractive to me, though I know that IB (my brokers), for example, do not accept trust accounts for minors. Are there any US, Canadian or UK brokers that would do this? She is a non-resident minor alien. (Sounds terrible!) To send the money here and convert it into yen seems a terrible waste with the conversion fees and the transfer fees.

Thanks very much,

Simon Thornley
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Oil and Gas
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.