UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190416  
Subject: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 9:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Niece (10) has discovered how to delete her browsing history in FireFox. Any way my sister can track niece's browsing history? All the add-ons for FireFox are for easily deleting history.

Barbara
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184027 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 35
Yes, there is a very easy way to retain the browsing history. Your sister should tell her daughter that she is not allowed to delete the browsing history. If the daughter does delete the history, she will lose the use of the computer.

PSU

Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184028 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 11:11 AM
Headslap!!!!

Yep. That's the answer!

Barbara

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184029 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 11:21 AM
Er... wouldn't she just end up at the library or a friends place with less vigilant parents?

Any <has two grown up daughters... survived> mouse

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184030 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 11:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
If your sister is a bit tech savvy, she could set up the router in the house to keep a log of web site requests passing through it. Some routers can also e-mail that log on a regular basis, making it easier to look at it.

I'd be tempted to use this along with PSU's parenting approach as a way to check that your niece doesn't learn to selectively delete browsing history.

--Peter

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184031 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 12:26 PM
I'd be tempted to use this along with PSU's parenting approach as a way to check that your niece doesn't learn to selectively delete browsing history.

It doesn't sound like the niece has found "Start Private Browsing" yet in FireFox. Once she does, then a technical solution will be needed.

PSU

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184032 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 12:31 PM
While I favor PSUEngineer's approach, I'll just mention that there are key logger softwares available. I use "Perfect Keylogger" on my father's computer; he is 92 and as often as not writes an email, then deletes it, then can't figure out where it went.

The software allows me to go into a file, scoop up the email, and recreate is in about 10 seconds (and I do it long distance from 700 miles away using TeamViewer.)

You can use it view mode or surreptitious, and it will automatically send a log of keystrokes, urls, chats, even screen snapshots to external email addresses without leaving a trail, if you so desire.

It's pretty easy to set up and use, while not "perfect" as the name implies (the keystroke log, for instance, only comes out in an HTML file rather than simple text) but it's decent. I think it costs around $40.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184033 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
Er... wouldn't she just end up at the library or a friends place with less vigilant parents?

Any <has two grown up daughters... survived> mouse

As a parent yourself, you understand parenting can be tricky and challenging. The child may go somewhere else if you tell them you want to be able to view the browsing history. If you use Goofy's suggestion of a keylogger, they'll also find somewhere else to go if you confront them with a printout of the keylogger. For the OP, I'd suggest that the sister use both methods. If you use a keylogger, you have to choose what kind of websites they're visiting that would trigger you telling them about the keylogger. You need to allow kids to explore, sometimes at or just over the your personal boundaries for the child. If you bring down the hammer on a small indiscretion, then the kid will see that you have no trust in them at all and will pursue their activities in a less supervised place. It's a balancing act between being too lenient and too strict. If a child is visiting an inappropriate place, it may be a good opportunity to discuss why they're exploring those topics and why you think they may be inappropriate instead of just resorting to punishing the kid.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184034 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 12:57 PM
Another method that some people use is that the computers are in a public place in the household such as the family room or kitchen if using a laptop. There would be a rule that laptops could not be used in bedrooms or other out of the way places. I have not done that myself but I've seen it recommended here. Fortunately for me, my kids used their laptops in the family room.

PSU

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184035 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 1:28 PM
Another method that some people use is that the computers are in a public place in the household such as the family room or kitchen if using a laptop.

That's the one I use with my 13 year old son. It works well for us.

Of course, it helps that he seems to have no interest in visiting inappropriate web sites. I definitely got lucky on that front.

--Peter

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184036 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 2:33 PM
If you use a keylogger, you have to choose what kind of websites they're visiting that would trigger you telling them about the keylogger.

There's another option. The hosts file.

On my Win7 computer, it's at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Open this file in a text editor, such as Notepad.

Add a line or two to it that look like this:

127.0.0.1 websitename.com
127.0.0.1 www.websitename.com

(don't change the number at left - put any site addresses you like on the right, one per line)

Do "Save As" and specify the filename as "hosts." - ADD THE PERIOD - and overwrite the existing file. (If you just save the file, in Notepad it will save as hosts.txt and that isn't the file name the system is looking for.)

You probably need administrator authority to overwrite the file.

And that web site ceases to exist as far as your computer is concerned. At worst this will happen at the next reboot.

What actually happens is that your computer thinks IT is the server for that website. The IP address 127.0.0.1 translates to English as "me". So the request never goes out to the internet.

If you want to be REALLY obnoxious, put a different IP address in there. Maybe 208.80.152.201 (Wikipedia) or 205.196.223.233 (Gunnerkrigg Court - one of my favorite webcomics, and kid-safe by most people's standards).

(Now here's the nasty part: that file is how computers on the internet used to translate ALL names to IP addresses, before the invention of the DNS - Distributed Name Server - system. Which was fine when the internet was a dozen university computer centers scattered around the US, but can you imagine having to do that nowadays?)

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184037 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 2:35 PM
If you run the right operating system (e.g, various flavors of Linux) you can use the extended attribute feature to set a file to (a) append only.

http://www.linuxhowtos.org/Tips%20and%20Tricks/chattr.htm

Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184038 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 3:52 PM
For me and our house, we use Microsoft Family Safety.

You can't delete the history there and I can prevent said kids from hitting inappropriate sites.

When kids get grounded or lose computer rights, then I can turn it on off.

xSSMBB

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184039 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 3:58 PM
Hey numbrel,,,

Warrl's idea of the HOSTS file is a pretty good one.
I have been using the HOSTS file for a long time and it works well.

I am using a HOSTESS utility to manage the HOSTS files, and it makes it it pretty painless and easy to do, and then you don't need to re-boot when you switch between HOSTS files, or turn it ON/OFF. It also allows you to edit the HOSTS files right in the Utility. You can downloaded it from here:

http://www.raymarron.com/hostess/

I also use the MVP-Hosts file, that can be Imported into the Hostess Utility. You can download it from here:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/hostsnews/default.aspx

Of course using the HOSTS File to Block URLs then means you need to know what you want to Block, and that can be hard unless you are using a Key-Logger to get the URL/info to begin with...

TK...

Author: LonghornBoy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184040 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 9:11 PM
Your sister should tell her daughter that she is not allowed to delete the browsing history. If the daughter does delete the history, she will lose the use of the computer.

Bzzt. Nice try. Here's a consolation prize for you...

In FF, one can selectively delete individual web hits...Done well, it would be difficult to detect that she deleted anything.

Best bet is to set up a proxy server that allows you to monitor all activity and selectively block sites as needed...

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184041 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 9:25 PM
Bzzt. Nice try. Here's a consolation prize for you...

In FF, one can selectively delete individual web hits...Done well, it would be difficult to detect that she deleted anything.

Best bet is to set up a proxy server that allows you to monitor all activity and selectively block sites as needed...

I didn't say that you couldn't employ other methods to monitor history. If you use other techniques to discover that the browser history is being deleted, even selectively, you take the computer away. I stand by my advice.

PSU

Author: hk2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184042 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/4/2013 10:00 PM
fwiw, In Firefox, clicking on "Start Private Browsing" prevents history/cookies from being recorded in the first place.

Jim

Author: MasonMcDan Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184044 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/5/2013 7:53 AM
Any reason why FF has to be on the computer?

Aren't there some browsers with kiosk settings?

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184046 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/5/2013 8:44 AM
Sounds to me like a lot of spitting against the wind.

Good luck.

Ken

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184047 of 190416
Subject: Re: How to keep browsing history Date: 3/5/2013 8:50 AM
Sounds to me like a lot of spitting against the wind.

That is the cleaned-up version of the way I heard that one.

Reminds me of the line for remembering the colour codes formerly used on electronic equipment (cleaned up version):

Big Boys Race Our Young Girls, But Violet Generally Wins.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement