Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all ...

I need a little advice on the "how do I report this?" front. In 2002 I rolled over my 401K from my former employer to a Traditional IRA. I received from my former employer a 1099-R detailing the distributions.

Of course ... doing the "Foolish" thing ... I rolled over the entire amount and resisted the temptation to pocket some cash. Therefore, since it was a 100% rollover, line 2a "Taxable Amount" reads $0.00.

The only entries in the form are Box 1 (the amount of the distribution), 2b (marked "Total Distribution"), and Box 7 (marked "G" for "Direct Rollover to IRA"). For an entry of "G" in Box 7, the notes on the back of the 1099-R state that "You need not file Form 5329".

My question is this, what do I do with this 1099-R? Do I need to make a note of it somewhere on my 1040? If so, where?



Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.