Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mrnethack Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121104  
Subject: How to return a refund? Date: 3/15/2001 12:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello all,

I just discovered I made an error on my tax return and need some advice.

I receive my payslip via the internet, and used my 12/31/2000 information to fill out and file my taxes in January. By the end of the month I had received a nice $7500 refund (6000 Fed, 1500 State) which I put in my money market account and haven't touched yet.

I received my W-2 by February 1 and filed it away, figuring I had done everything correctly with TurboTax. Last night I was cleaning up my tax records and decided to open the W-2.

I was shocked to discover that the total tax actually withheld was different than how my company showed it on the internet. I called my payroll department this morning and discovered that they are right and I filed the wrong amount of tax withheld. I should get a Federal refund of 3 dollars and owe the State about $350.

So my question is, what is the best approach to fix this error? I know I will probably have to file a form 1040X but at the bottom of it there is a paragraph asking why the error occurred. TurboTax offers no advice on the subject.

I'm worried about possible penalties for taking Uncle Sam's money and then having to return it. The form doesn't say whether there are any penalties and it doesn't say if I should send a check for the money along with the form? Does the IRS bill me once they receive the 1040X?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know how best to proceed.

Thanks!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: eslovick Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48469 of 121104
Subject: Re: How to return a refund? Date: 3/15/2001 12:57 PM
mrnethack,

Definitely send a check with the 1040X form. I would attach a letter telling exactly what you told us. I don't think there is a form number for "I messed up". There will probably be some penalties, but wait for them to tell you what they are. They might decide that it is not as bad as you think, or there may not be a penalty if you get it in before the April 15th deadline (or not much of one). Time is of the essence.

Beth

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48487 of 121104
Subject: Re: How to return a refund? Date: 3/15/2001 5:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
So my question is, what is the best approach to fix this error? I know I will probably have to file a form 1040X but at the bottom of it there is a paragraph asking why the error occurred.

Explain it the way you explained it here. What I can't figure out is how you got the refund without the W-2. In any event, just send a check along with the 1040X.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48491 of 121104
Subject: Re: How to return a refund? Date: 3/15/2001 6:21 PM
Explaining the situation is important, too. Because it was inadvertant, you may request that the IRS waive any penalties they assess (although you will probably still be required to pay interest on the additional amount refunded).

CPAScott

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48496 of 121104
Subject: Re: How to return a refund? Date: 3/15/2001 7:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about this.

Prepare the 1040X. For an explanation, all you need to state is that the wrong number was entered on line xx (whatever is appropriate).

Send a check for the balance due.

If it's done by 4/16, there should be no penalty as it will still be timely filed and paid.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement