Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55906  
Subject: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/8/2012 6:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Chinese Style

The language in the video is Chinese, but understanding the commentary isn't really needed - Just watch the demonstration:

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/cooking/1160651.html
Print the post Back To Top
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54509 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 8:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The language in the video is Chinese, but understanding the commentary isn't really needed - Just watch the demonstration:

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/cooking/1160651.html

I had seen that posted on the UK Fool’s Recipes & Cooking Board about a month ago. The consensuses over there was, while cool, its probably easier to just separate the egg by letting the white trickle through your fingers.
;-)

C.J.V. - assuming you have clean hands, yes

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54510 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 9:42 AM
Recommendations: 0
C.J.V. - assuming you have clean hands, yes

You always make me laugh, C.J.V. - That's a great talent!!

Bob

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54511 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 1:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
The consensuses over there was, while cool, its probably easier to just separate the egg by letting the white trickle through your fingers.

I usually just break the shell in half and, over a bowl, carefully pull the two halves apart. The yolk will wind up in one-half and I put the white from the other half into a bowl and then just transfer the yolk back and forth between the two halves until I have removed all of the white. Works for me!

Christina

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54512 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 1:42 PM
The yolk will wind up in one-half and I put the white from the other half into a bowl and then just transfer the yolk back and forth between the two halves until I have removed all of the white. Works for me!

DITTO! So fast and easy, not messy. That's the way I was taught as a kid. And until it first came up for discussion here, naive though it may be--I always assumed that's the way everyone does it. ;-)

sheila

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54513 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 2:32 PM
The yolk will wind up in one-half and I put the white from the other half into a bowl and then just transfer the yolk back and forth between the two halves until I have removed all of the white. Works for me!

DITTO! So fast and easy, not messy.

Would you care to place a modest wager, perhaps, on fast, easy and not messy, and how cleanly the yolk comes out - Say a dozen eggs with no broken yolks and measure the amount of egg white that lands with the yolks? I will wager on the Chinese lady, and split the profit with her, so she only gets half, if she wins - You and Cristina get the whole pot, if you win, to split between you - Say for $1, American money.

:-)

Bob

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54514 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 8:04 PM
Recommendations: 2
Would you care to place a modest wager, perhaps, on fast, easy and not messy, and how cleanly the yolk comes out - Say a dozen eggs with no broken yolks and measure the amount of egg white that lands with the yolks?

I'm not sheila but I'll take that bet! I have cracked up to 20 eggs for something I was cooking (double the recipe) and there were NO broken yolks. And AFAIAC it was fast, easy and not the tiniest bit messy.

As far as egg whites landing with the yolks, a small amount of white may be attached to the yolk but it has never caused a problem in any item I was cooking that required egg yolks only. (The opposite is more likely to be a problem in some recipes -- a speck of yolk in with the whites.)

(BTW - it's Christina, not Cristina.)

Christina

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54515 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 8:09 PM
Cool.

I too was taught the "juggle the yolk between the 2 shell halfs" and think the plastic bottle method looks easier - provided one has an empty plastic bottle.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54516 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 8:26 PM
Cool.

I too was taught the "juggle the yolk between the 2 shell halfs" and think the plastic bottle method looks easier - provided one has an empty plastic bottle.

I can not disagree wid any of dat, nor about using clean hands (or a clean bottle.)

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54517 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 8:37 PM
I too was taught the "juggle the yolk between the 2 shell halfs" and think the plastic bottle method looks easier...

To once again use my favorite saying: that's why they make both vanilla AND chocolate.

I will continue using the "juggle" method - which I have been using for over 45 years, TYVM.

Christina

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54518 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 9:19 PM
I will continue using the "juggle" method - which I have been using for over 45 years, TYVM.

Me too. And part of what I prefer is the simplicity of it -- the fact that you've already got all of the equipment you need -- the egg shells. It's a self-contained system.

I don't have the time for the egg-white challenge right now. But if at some point I have to separate a large number of eggs, I'll post my results.

sheila

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54519 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 9:24 PM

Christina

If you've only been using that method for 45 year, you're likely 5 or 10 years younger than I am - I'll try the method, at least once or twice.

Bob * likes to stay ahead and try new things.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54520 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 9:40 PM
I don't have the time for the egg-white challenge right now. But if at some point I have to separate a large number of eggs, I'll post my results.

Fair enough - Thanks!

I am getting an urge to bake a Red Velvet/American Beauty cake - I might try the egg separation method, that is new to me, in making that.

Bob

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54521 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 9:44 PM
If you've only been using that method for 45 year, you're likely 5 or 10 years younger than I am - I'll try the method, at least once or twice.

If you're 5 or 10 years older than I am (and cooking for 50+ years), I'm quite surprised that you never heard about the "juggling" method before!!!

likes to stay ahead and try new things

So do I -- but only when the "new things" are better than the "old things" I'm already doing!!!

Christina

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54522 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/9/2012 11:23 PM
If you're 5 or 10 years older than I am (and cooking for 50+ years), I'm quite surprised that you never heard about the "juggling" method before!!!

I have not only heard of it, I have used it all of my life.

-----

likes to stay ahead and try new things

So do I -- but only when the "new things" are better than the "old things" I'm already doing!!!

You tried it and didn't like it... or you didn't bother to try it, which?

If the former, would you please explain why? If the latter, I've heard enough already.

Bob

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54523 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 9:58 AM

I didn't realize anyone was trying to force you to try a new method - I was just giving my opinion of which looks quicker.

IMO, when people have such a negative response to something new and hold on that the method they know is far superior, even though they haven't even tried the new method, what they're really saying is "I don't want to try something new". No law against being close minded.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54524 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 10:02 AM
Me too. And part of what I prefer is the simplicity of it -- the fact that you've already got all of the equipment you need -- the egg shells. It's a self-contained system.

But it's not without its own faults - sometimes when one attempts to crack an egg in half, it doesn't crack in half, and instead you've got one side with about 2/3 of the shell, and the other with 1/3, and when trying to separate the yolk you have to hope the yolk doesn't drop out when it's in the 1/3 side.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54525 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 10:12 AM
NoIDAtAll, I posted the link to a friend's FB page who teaches middle school home ec - thought it would make for an interesting demo to wake up her students - maybe some American kids will grow up learning the "new" method.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54526 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 10:49 AM
But it's not without its own faults - sometimes when one attempts to crack an egg in half, it doesn't crack in half, and instead you've got one side with about 2/3 of the shell, and the other with 1/3, and when trying to separate the yolk you have to hope the yolk doesn't drop out when it's in the 1/3 side.

True--it does happen once in a great while. So far, I've always managed to do it. Just have to be really careful! ;-)

sheila

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54527 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 5:07 PM
IMO, when people have such a negative response to something new and hold on that the method they know is far superior, even though they haven't even tried the new method, what they're really saying is "I don't want to try something new". No law against being close minded

You're being just slightly judgmental, don't you think?

I am not close-minded. I just don't see the need to use a plastic bottle to do something that I can do with the egg's own shell!

BTW - nowhere did I say that the method I used was "far superior"; I merely said that I would continue to use the method that I've found successful for over 45 years.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54528 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 5:10 PM
sometimes when one attempts to crack an egg in half, it doesn't crack in half, and instead you've got one side with about 2/3 of the shell, and the other with 1/3, and when trying to separate the yolk you have to hope the yolk doesn't drop out when it's in the 1/3 side.

As I've said before, I've been using this procedure for over 45 years and very seldom have had this problem -- and I've cracked a lot of eggs over this time period!!!

BTW - if the yolk DOES drop out into the bowl with the egg whites, just use the 2/3 side to lift it right out.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54529 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 5:11 PM
maybe some American kids will grow up learning the "new" method.

Hope that the teacher has enough clean plastic bottles on hand!!

Christina

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54530 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 7:01 PM
Recommendations: 4

I quickly saw a food fight forming in this thread so just ignored it and never looked at the video that ate Philadelphia. Until the thread reached 20 posts, and curiosity got the best of me.

Kewl! If I ever have coincidentally the need for separated eggs and an empty plastic bottle in the house, I'll give it a whirl. Don't be holding your collective breaths, though, because I rarely have plastic bottles in the house and, even though I had a dream about floating islands (dessert) this afternoon, I rarely need to separate eggs.

So I'll probably continue with "the way my mother showed me." I have experimented with the "through the fingers" method I've seen some TV chefs use and found it a slimy disappointment which left me feeling most of the white had gone down the drain when I washed my hands.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54531 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 8:12 PM
Don't be holding your collective breaths, though, because I rarely have plastic bottles in the house

Same here! (And the next time I do need to separate yolks and whites, I'm not likely to have one handy!!!)

So I'll probably continue with "the way my mother showed me."

Watch out, Phil; you're likely going to be called "closed minded". :)

Christina

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54532 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 9:20 PM
maybe some American kids will grow up learning the "new" method.

Clean -- and BPA-free.

sheila

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54533 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/10/2012 9:36 PM
Kewl! If I ever have coincidentally the need for separated eggs and an empty plastic bottle in the house, I'll give it a whirl. Don't be holding your collective breaths, though, because I rarely have plastic bottles in the house and, even though I had a dream about floating islands (dessert) this afternoon, I rarely need to separate eggs.

So I'll probably continue with "the way my mother showed me." I have experimented with the "through the fingers" method I've seen some TV chefs use and found it a slimy disappointment which left me feeling most of the white had gone down the drain when I washed my hands.

Good points (and fair), Phil.

Incidentally, the bottles really aren't that hard to come by. Someone at the office and/or one of my neighbors usually drinks a bottle of spring water at least once or twice a week, and they're really not that expensive - a little over a dime a bottle of water. Plus, at least here near the Mississippi River, the water tastes much better than what flows from the tap:

Schnucks Natural Spring Water [$2.99]
- Case of 24 – 1/2 liter bottles
http://www.frugalexperiments.com/category/schnucks

Bob

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54534 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/11/2012 12:14 AM
Recommendations: 7
one of my neighbors usually drinks a bottle of spring water at least once or twice a week, and they're really not that expensive - a little over a dime a bottle of water.

Wasting money on bottled water is possibly number one on my "not on a bet" list. The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission provides perfectly good water from the tap, which is whence comes most still bottled water no matter how many times they work "Springs" into their brand name. About the third time the hostess tried to sell me water in a restaurant where I was about to pay over $100 for dinner I told her that if she opened her mouth about it again her reward was going to be a crumpled napkin and a canceled reservation.

Phil

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54535 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/11/2012 8:57 AM
Wasting money on bottled water is possibly number one on my "not on a bet" list. The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission provides perfectly good water from the tap...

Unfortunately, tap water here often is not so good - It fluctuates. A lot of people changed their plumbing to PVC when acidic water caused problems like below. (I use to help my Father install water softeners and replace plumbing in homes when I was younger.) And, we've gone through around 4 dozen fish in the fish tank at the office where I work. The guy who services the tank says he has never seen anything like it.

Water that is truly acidic (with a pH less than 6.2) can eat pinholes in the pipe and cause nerve damage due to copper poisoning. Acidic water can leach out lead from solder in copper joints installed before lead was banned in 1988 and cause lead poisoning. Blue-green stains around fixtures indicate the acidic water is eating away the interior of the copper plumbing. http://exclusivebuyerrealty.com/weekly-tips/home-inspection/...

Bob

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54536 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/11/2012 10:19 AM

Based on all the bulk packages of small water bottles I see in just about all the homes of my friends who have kids, the kids at school probably bring enough of their own plastic water bottles each day.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54537 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/11/2012 3:26 PM
Unfortunately, tap water here often is not so good - It fluctuates. A lot of people changed their plumbing to PVC when acidic water caused problems like below. (I use to help my Father install water softeners and replace plumbing in homes when I was younger.) And, we've gone through around 4 dozen fish in the fish tank at the office where I work.

Tell me about it, Bob. I tested our raw well water when we first bought the house and the pH was 5.3. I had to replace every faucet and shutoff valve in the house along with the water heater & dishwasher. I corrected it by putting a lime filter (water hardener? ) between the pressure tank and the inlet to the house (I still use the raw water in the garden and pool, howsomeever). Every spring I add 40 or 36 pounds of limestone gravel to the filter and our tap water now ranges in pH between about 7.8 and 7.4.
;-)

C.J.V. - used to treat marine fish with 0.2 ppm copper to kill parasites, me

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54538 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/11/2012 10:04 PM
Tell me about it, Bob.

OK, I don't know how it will land. Phil might crumple his napkin and threaten a hostess to cancel his reservation for his $100 meal. Ain't my problem. However, it does appear, to me, that even noble WSSC customers have, quite certainly, experienced problems with acidic water: https://secure.wsscwater.com/file/EngAndConst/InfrastructSys...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54539 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/12/2012 12:11 PM
where I was about to pay over $100 for dinner.

What did you have?

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54540 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/12/2012 12:44 PM
What did you have?

The only thing I remember is crunchy rissoto, and it wasn't crunchy because of added tidbits, it was crunchy because of undercooked rice. Other than that it was an unremarkable meal. Go figure, they went out of business.

Phil

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54541 of 55906
Subject: Re: How to Separate an Egg Yolk from the White Date: 9/12/2012 2:07 PM
The only thing I remember is crunchy rissoto, and it wasn't crunchy because of added tidbits, it was crunchy because of undercooked rice. Other than that it was an unremarkable meal.

Bummer!!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement