UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190816  
Subject: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 10:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there a way to change the default list that pops up on Powerpoint when you want to open a new file? Currently, it defaults to Preview, but I'd prefer that it default to List. I've tried looking through help, but have not been able to find out to adjust this.

Anyone know how to do this?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: stocks2grow Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135168 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi - what do you mean by "list"? I'm guessing you are talking about "views"? The answer wizard in PowerPoint Help (f1 key and use the word "preview") says in part:

Microsoft PowerPoint has three main views: normal view, slide sorter view, and slide show view. You can select a view, based on these main views, to be your default view in PowerPoint...

and then it goes on to explain how to set the default. That might be what you are looking for.

Mike

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135169 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:13 AM
Microsoft PowerPoint has three main views: normal view, slide sorter view, and slide show view. You can select a view, based on these main views, to be your default view in PowerPoint...

No, it's not that view.

If you Open a file, you get a dialog box. In that box, it seems that I now default to only getting what is called the Preview list. I used to get the List [if you click on the Views icon, there are a bunch of choices], but something changed and I don't know how to change it back.

I don't like having to scroll down the entire list to choose my files. Before, I had a list so there were a few columns across and I could see more files.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and how to fix it? Powerpoint Help has been less than helpful for me.

Author: beaglebud One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135170 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:25 AM
[if you click on the Views icon, there are a bunch of choices]

Not ask a dumb question, but did you try clicking the View button to the one you want? At least in Excel, it remembers the last View you selected in the Open File dialog box. Maybe you have to actually open the file with desired view selected as opposed to selecting the view and the hitting cancel (not that's what you're doing).

Just a thought.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135171 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:28 AM
Not ask a dumb question, but did you try clicking the View button to the one you want? At least in Excel, it remembers the last View you selected in the Open File dialog box. Maybe you have to actually open the file with desired view selected as opposed to selecting the view and the hitting cancel (not that's what you're doing).

There's no such thing as a dumb question.

Yes, I do manually change it every time. Unfortunately, it doesn't remember it for the next session. I keep thinking there's something else after that that I need to do so that it knows I want to keep it.

It's making me crazy because it used to be that way, and then I must have hit some combination of keys, and it changed to this other view. I know it's something I did. I just don't know how to undo it.

I've been living with it like this, but it's making me crazy.

Other suggestions you think I should try?

Author: beaglebud One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135172 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:39 AM
Which version of PP?

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135173 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:46 AM
Which version of PP?

Author: beaglebud One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135174 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:53 AM
Recommendations: 2
Found one thing that sounds like it's a fit. However...

The one "solution" is registry modification, doh! If you're comfortable with that, OK, if not be careful.

The other "solution" is basically switch it each time you run PowerPoint. Uhhh, yeah, nice.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915402

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135175 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 9/25/2007 11:57 AM
That's exactly the problem, and I'm not comfortable playing with the registry settings on this machine [it's a work machine], so I guess I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for all the help.

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135695 of 190816
Subject: Re: how to set default Open File for Powerpoint Date: 10/13/2007 6:34 PM
Hey 2gifts,

That's exactly the problem, and I'm not comfortable playing with the registry settings on this machine [it's a work machine], so I guess I'm stuck with it.

If y'all have an IT Dept, why not tell them what problem y'all're havin' and show them the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915402 link so they can "fix" this issue for you?

If y'all don't have an IT Dept, go ahead follow the directions explicitly and y'all'll be fine.

ßillƒ

e-mailed and posted

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement