Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: footsox Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121272  
Subject: How to sign POA - Taxes for mom Date: 4/16/2011 3:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My mother is an alzheimer's patient. I have Durable Power of Attorney for her. Her CPA and I have just finished a couple years back taxes that she never did, so I need to sign them for her and send them in.

So do I sign my name, and then write "POA for" and then her name? Does anyone know the proper way to sign the POA signature? Something like "Bob Smith POA for Evelyn Smith." I am new to the POA thing... Thanks for any info.

Footsox
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113161 of 121272
Subject: Re: How to sign POA - Taxes for mom Date: 4/16/2011 1:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Something like "Bob Smith POA for Evelyn Smith."

That will do.

I'm tempted to say it's close enough for government work, but I think I won't. :-)

--Peter

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113170 of 121272
Subject: Re: How to sign POA - Taxes for mom Date: 4/16/2011 6:21 PM
Recommendations: 5
You are not "POA". The document is the POA. You are the attorney in fact for your mother. Thus, the signatures should read "You" as Attorney in Fact for "your mother". Use names instead of the words in quotes.

Donna (real-estate paralegal)

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113175 of 121272
Subject: Re: How to sign POA - Taxes for mom Date: 4/16/2011 10:43 PM
I had to sign the 1040 for my Mom once,many years ago, pre-electronic days. I did the POA thing and the IRS did not like it...sent it back and I had to get all kinds of verification. I also lived 800 miles away, but luckily caught it when I visited her.

The next year, I did her taxes and signed her name. All went well. Her attorney unofficially said that was probably the easiest way to handle it.

Carol

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113176 of 121272
Subject: Re: How to sign POA - Taxes for mom Date: 4/16/2011 11:03 PM
I had to sign the 1040 for my Mom once,many years ago, pre-electronic days. I did the POA thing and the IRS did not like it...sent it back and I had to get all kinds of verification. I also lived 800 miles away, but luckily caught it when I visited her.

The next year, I did her taxes and signed her name. All went well. Her attorney unofficially said that was probably the easiest way to handle it.

Carol

I signed my mother's return 3 days after she died. Everything had been done for a month but she put off signing and mailing the return. At that point I had too much to deal with to be worrying about the tax return for the prior year. Back-dated it to the day before she went to the hospital too. She had a refund coming and everything was fine. I don't think I would have tried signing a check if she had owed money though. There are limits to my forgery.

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113184 of 121272
Subject: Re: How to sign POA - Taxes for mom Date: 4/17/2011 6:09 PM
Maybe the CPA would know what you are supposed to do?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement