Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: EPIM Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21  
Subject: How to stop the bleeding Date: 10/10/2008 3:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
An idea occured to me today and I need some advice.
I'm 38
A few months ago I got tired of the market volatility and I moved my 401K into a govenment bond fund (FEDBX)
This has in effect sheltered me from most of the down swing we have seen in the last few weeks.

What to do now is my question.
Holding in the bond fund makes me subject to interest rate changes. This in my mind sounds positive but nothing is making sense at the moment.

The idea I had was to borrow half of the money in my account effectively insuring that it will not go down.

I would then be paying myself interest on the loan at between 5 and 6 percent. In theory I could swing that loan into a fixed return 90 day CD or longer gaining me 3 to 4 percent

This would also allow me to potentially buy back into the market with cash sometime in the future.

The 2 to 3 percent spread between the interest I payback to my 401K and the CD return, would have to come out of my cash flow but I don't see that as a loss because I am paying myself back.

If nothing else I will be cost averaging when I swing my new money (both my regular contributions and my bi-weekly loan payments) into buying my regular aggressive growth funds.

Does that make sense to anyone?
What am I missing?

Sincerely,

EPIM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement