Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello all. For tax year 2007, I received a $6600 refund; claiming 2 allowances for myself and wife. Did not make any changes this year. Therefore, for tax year 2008, I'm expecting about the same -- and some online calculators confirm this when pumping in my 2008 information. For 2009, I want to change my W-4 to NOT get into this same refund scenario again -- I want to pay only what the IRS basically requires. :)

Anyway, the Kiplinger website has a calculator that tells me that based on 2007 tax year, I should have updated my allowances to be 10, not 2! I'm assuming the same would be for this year. In any case, I'm looking at the IRS draft Form W-4. For married filing jointly (no children), I have 2 allowances for myself and wife on Line H. How do I make this more -- 6, 8, 10?

We plan to itemize our deductions for 2009 as we will be buying a house soon (closing in Jan/Feb). Even with mortgage interest, property tax, etc., I can only get my allowanced up to 5. That means I will still expect a significant refund in 2010.

Any ideas of how to fill-in the Form to get me up to allowances of 8-10?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.