No. of Recommendations: 1
howard, you cannot give a one size fits all answer on the quality of broker research. Sometimes it is garbage, and other times it is extremely deep and insightful. For example, I was researching the Australian outfit Alumina as a proxy for Alcoa, and Credit Suisse's research coverage was fantastic. They gave tremendous insights into the different parts of Alumina's business that were moving the stock up and down simultaneously. They gave very specific scenarios in which the stock would perform well. I would never have had any of this understanding without their reports. I like this kind of research when it can help you understand the business model, particularly when you are new to the stock.

In terms of Moody's, where they excel is in helping you understand the credit hierarchy of a company. If Moody's gives a limited partnership specific coverage, it is a good way to learn the history of who was the general partner and how that evolved. I read that kind of report just to record the history rather than to get insights.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement