UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WayneOwl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 46837  
Subject: Re: Oil = Tulips? Date: 10/7/2004 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Howdy....

Anyway, anyone starting to think that the Oil speculation market is reaching hysteria levels? Kinda like the tulips of old? The reason I see for this is all the news coverage of the cost of futures and speculation on oil and etc.

Buffy.... I don't believe this is a valid comparison. The "tulip mania" saw tulip bulb prices rise from the equivalents of pennies to several thousand dollars. Also, while the world would be a drearier place, a few less pretty flowers would not be a calamity. On the other hand, without sufficient O&G for energy, plastics, and chemicals our economies face an apocalypse. We do not yet have viable alternatives. I don't believe I exaggerate.

Sounds to me like that could be a very dangerous game, and I hope our country (gov't) doesn't get caught up in it.....Buffy (who thinks the speculation will get worse the the oil situation real quick...)

Yes, there is speculation. But any more than in the other derivatives markets about which we have also been reading so much? In fact, one might argue that consumers locking in prices for future deliveries is in fact a very prudent course of action. Likewise, for a producer who needs a predictable ROI to satisfy his bankers.

( I submit that Put and Call Options on a company which may someday produce a drug that relieves pain, if it doesn't kill the patients first, is where the real speculation is these days ! )

I got about 20% of my portfolio in low P/E oil extraction/distribution companies

Good move, DCFNewbie! I recall suggesting several months ago here on FC that investors would be wise to at least hedge their personal energy expenses by making appropriate investments in O&G Royalty Trusts/LPs; even if they did not want to plunge more deeply.

I would point out, though, that while P/E ratios may be valid for the oil services sector and downstream operators, they are not the usual valuation metric for producers ( or extraction companies, as you refer to them ). Most industry comparisons are made mainly on the basis of proven reserves and cash flow ... with some more minor factors such as netbacks, undeveloped land holdings, and others thrown in just to make our task more difficult.... :-)

In conclusion......Yes, the sector is booming. Six months ago, the "commomn wisdom" was that Oil would retreat to the mid-20's per bbl. with NG back under $ 4.00 / mcf. I don't read that anywhere anymore.

Due to all the factors in play, I won't even try to predict within what range, or when, prices will stabilize; but I intend to stay in the game.

Best 'o' luck
Wayne

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement