Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
howdy john,

welcome to my world. your allowed roth contribution won't be known until you have your actual agi; you can guess and start funding now and recharacterize any excess contribution to the traditional ira by the due date of your 2005 return. (i assume when you said your '2006 agi' you meant your 2005 agi on the return you file in 2006.) i think the roth is better than the traditional nondeductible; i contribute the maximum allowable to the roth and the scraps get swept to the traditional ira (nondeductible). i wait until i know my agi and make the entire contribution at once. i lose some earnings waiting until april of the following year but i find it saves on my nerves.

hope this helps,
still trying to think of something wise/brilliant/hillarious to write under his name

here's a thought ... you could ask the employer to make a massive cut in your pay therefore allowing the full deductible ira ... y'know take one for the team!!!??? nah ... nevermind
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.