UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: IcyWolf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41633  
Subject: Re: OT - My Dad and His Money Date: 12/13/2005 9:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
Howdy sv,

Don't be too hard on your Dad, or so sure of what others should do / should have done. Someone may someday return the favor <knowing lupine wink>.

Do you know anyone who has listened to "sound investment advice" and lost more than a few pennies? Or lost thier whole life savings <shudder>? I'll bet your Dad knows such people.

And ya know what, even this den dweller does. And I don't have to go back to when the markets were essentially down and flat for 17 years in a row to find them. You do know that happens to markets, and not so very long ago, don't you?

Who actually knows which way things will go? There are some awesomely wonderful threads around right now about how the US economy and its stock market is poised to crash and only going overwieght investing in things like gold and silver (and certain commodities) are likely to save one! We can find "sound investment advice" for any and every potential approach, so which one to choose <a wolf trying to look thoughtful - glasses halfway down snout ... reading jacket on in library, etc. etc.>.

How many people profited vs lost money in the high tech market bubble of the recent past? Or were all winners <g>?

I know folks who worked their whole careers for AT&T and there was no way that widow and orphan's outfit was ever going to run into trouble ... It was SAFE to have even over 50% (all?) of all your retirement assets in it - at least according to SOME <smile>. They were right for far more years than they were wrong, but when it went south ... More recently I know folks who worked for Gateway and became quite wealthy on paper. And unfortunately some of them acted wealthy before realizing the profits <sigh>. The bounceback was always just around the corner for a company as great as Gateway. I suspect none of US knows of anyone who ever lost significant sums in companies like Enron, or any of those others slammed by fraud etc.? Heck, I know a very responsible conservative (and highly paid and respected CFO) who has lost more than half of his family's savings in the stock market ... Hint - does increased risk mean increased returns? duh. But he does have maybe half of his earning career still ahead of him, so no problem ... just increase the risk meter a bit more ... <sigh>.

Yea yea, they should have diversified (or not). They should have done more studying about investing in general and specifically for their own futures. Maybe they shouldn't have trusted the promised pensions from corporations that employed them? etc. etc.

There are probably people amongst most all of us who were over weighted in one or more stocks at the wrong time, or without enough dispassionate DD, or without enough understanding of the actual risks and their own risk tolerances, etc. Of course none of us ever were <smirk>. We are diverse critters in so many ways, and that is part and parcel of our strength. So what's wrong with some folks being uber conservatives in terms of investment risk? Shouldn't we celebrate not only diversity as an overall concept, but each part of it too?

We all know that everyone should obey posted speed limits, not only for our own safety but out of consideration for others, right? We should all have our brakes checked every 6 months or so, right? We should all have a complete health checkup every year or so, right? (let's not even talk about colonoscopy, right <g>?) We should all eat a balanced diet, get enough exercise and manage the stresses in our lives, because what is more important than our own health, right? If we believe in a God, we should be regularly going to church and following that religions precepts, right? etc. etc. ... Do we all do all we "should" all the time or is it only 4 legged fur bearers who don't always do what they should?

Bottomline is that not all folks have the inclination or time or resources or even risk tolerance to invest in equities. And if they are missing on any of those things, then is best investment for them still stocks?

Take care & Happy HollyDaze,
IcyWolf

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement