Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
However, after reading your comments, let's just say that I'm not impressed and leave it at that.

Let me comment a little more along those lines.
Having read this board for five or six years, it's clear to me that when one is considering a 1031 exchange one needs the advice of a tax professional. If one decides to go through with it one hires a third party company as an intermediary.

I would not consider a "financial advisor" sufficient to give advice about a 1031. Which is not a problem with the financial advisor. What is a problem is when the financial advisor doesn't admit that he/she is not the right person to talk to on this subject. I had always hoped that in cases like that one would be told "This is not my area of expertise, may I transfer you to a tax advisor (who specializes in 1031 exchanges)?"

- Megan
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.