No. of Recommendations: 0
However, had I gone 1/3 JUNO my total portfolio gain would have been
9% after tax.

Thus the reason longer term holding has become so important. Nevertheless would have been nice.

#FirstWorldProblems

I am still young enough/have a small enough income that the delta between long-term vs. short-term gains should factor almost none in my buy/sell decision-making. I have actually been trying to coach myself a bit this week to try to think less and less about tax implications, as I can somewhat see fretting about that (particularly worrying about Roth limits) hurting my potential gains. I've been quite a bit more active than you and also dabble in options.

I've almost developed a "fear" of realizing gains......which sounds silly almost, but also plays into Roth thoughts. "Fearing" realizing gains isn't a great way to invest.....but the philosophy of holding "forever" eliminates the possibility of realization of gains.

I might have to explore rolling over 401k money to an account I could manage myself beyond selecting from funds......but not sure if there's any way to do that while maintaining my present employment.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement