Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
However, I thought I was going to get a credit for the taxes withheld in box 4 on my 1099-R.

I paid $850 in taxes when Principal disbursed my wife's 401k plan and I paid $850 when I rolled this over to a Smith Barney IRA.

Shouldn't I get a credit for that $850 or is that what line 58 comprises of (which is carried over from the Tax Payments Worksheet, line 12).

The $850 that was withheld and shows on the 1099-R is the $850 on line 58. You get a credit for that, just as if it were withheld from wages.

The $850 you sent to Smith Barney is what allows you to have a zero on line 16b. Had you not sent that check, you would have had a taxable distirbution on 16b of $850, plus an $85 penalty on line 54.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.