Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
however, if your accounts look anything like mine, you should have plenty of realized capital losses to carry forward from prior tax years.

I usually have a pretty uncomplicated tax dealings with my accountant, so I'm not very tax savvy. I was under the impression that you could only claim loses for the year you are filling for. Am I allowed to claim losses from 2008 on my 2009 taxes. Isn't the most you can claim as a loss $3,000?

Thank you for your answers to my questions. They weren't the answers I wanted to hear, however. C'est lavee (probably spelled wrong it's been a long time since high school French class)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.