UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: UKBB Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 312  
Subject: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/8/2013 2:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thinking of upgrading to the HTC EVO V 4G from my current phone and was wondering what the batter life is like. The LG Optimus Slider is pretty bad on the batter. Anyone have one?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: UKBB Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 127 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/8/2013 2:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
OCD: battery

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/8/2013 11:19 PM
Sorry, no; but if the HTC Desire (T-Mobile G2) is any indication, I get a bit less than 10 hours off a single fully charged battery. Luckily it's swappable; and also the thing seems to take charge very quickly indeed. But this is the shortest-lived phone battery I've had yet.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/9/2013 10:24 AM
I have the G2 and it is heavily dependent on how I am using it. On standby I get at least a day per charge. If I'm Yelping and navigating and gas-buddying, etc, it's a lot less.

Of course I have killed a lot of stuff. I rooted it and removed Twitter completely (it was always an auto-start program - I hate Twitter). I removed a few other things, but don't remember what now. Then I use an app-killer program so that whenever the phone boots the app killer pops up and shows me everything that just loaded. I kill all but the necessary apps (e.g. Facebook gets stopped), and I'm good to go.

One thing I found seems to really kill the phone is the email app (not gmail, but the yellow icon 'email'). Don't know why. But if I try to set that up with Yahoo and the office, my battery dies very quickly. When I kill the email, it lasts a LOT longer. 1poorlady has observed the same on her Nexus (she's on Jellybean, I'm on Gingerbread).

1poorguy

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/9/2013 1:42 PM
If you don't mind sharing, which appkiller?

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/9/2013 1:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't mind at all! It's proper name is "Advanced Task Killer". It runs on boot. It will present you with a list of apps that are running after the boot-up (including itself). You select what you want it to stop, and it stops them for you (and then closes itself too). It will remember and auto-check those same apps next boot, so you don't have to and can just click "kill".

Just for fun, if you can do it without causing yourself problems, try killing the email app and see what happens to your battery. I'm betting the life goes up substantially.

1poorguy

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 133 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/10/2013 11:19 AM
I've been considering it anyway, just because of the notification sound.

I have my SMS to make a little noise (Alpha Centauri, I believe), and in theory, my GMail and my email set for silence. But every time the phone is powered off - soft reboot - or hooked by USB to the PC, even for charge, and even though the SD card is unmounted, the damn sound defaults back. I get a lot more emails than texts, and their urgency is rather less. So getting a notification for every damn email is irksome.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 134 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/10/2013 11:30 AM
I wonder why your sound settings change. That's odd. Mine don't, or at least not spontaneously when I plug in the charger. I occasionally accidentally change them when handling the phone (by pressing the volume buttons), but that's it.

I get a bit of gmail, and some SMS notifications (occasional). I have taken to putting the unit into airplane mode when I go to bed. The alarm will still work, the battery level hardly moves all night (literally less than 5%), and no notifications come in to disturb me.

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/11/2013 9:43 PM
I wonder why your sound settings change. That's odd.

Yeah, it is. The problem seems to be with setting different notification sounds on different apps. The phone apparently "likes" to notify by a single default sound regardless of source. If it were MS we were talking about I'm sure it'd be a Feature. Since it's Android, I'm sure it's a bug. I'm just not certain how to correct said bug.

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 138 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/20/2013 10:58 PM
Recommendations: 1
I purchased a HTC EVO V 4G back in mid October. It is my first Android device and it took some tweaking to increase performance and battery life. At first I always turned on wifi whenever I was home and turned the 4G antenna off. But I've found better battery life by just leaving the wifi off and the 4G on except when I go to bed when I turn both off.

I also use a task killer app, Easy Task Killer and a battery saver app, Easy Battery Saver (both from the same author) to prolong the useful battery life. I now easily get a day to a day and a half between charges.

I also found a program called Sound Profile that lets me create and setup multiple sound profiles for various times of the night and day. You can set the notification volumes for several items, (SMS, email, phone, alarms, multimedia & system) and change them all in a single tap. I used to adjust each volume separately, this is so much more friendly and reminds me of my old Blackberry. I have normal, loud and low profiles as well as silent, night, vibrate only, calls only and airplane mode. It will even change your wallpaper with each profile if you want which I like as it confirms at a glance which profile the phone is in.

YMMV,
Kurt

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 139 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/21/2013 2:01 PM
I also found a program called Sound Profile that lets me create and setup multiple sound profiles for various times of the night and day. You can set the notification volumes for several items, (SMS, email, phone, alarms, multimedia & system) and change them all in a single tap.

That sounds good - about halfway what I want. Will this program allow assignment of different sounds as well as volumes? I would like a sound for SMS, a sound for email, a sound for phone ... you get the idea.

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 140 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/21/2013 4:22 PM
That sounds good - about halfway what I want. Will this program allow assignment of different sounds as well as volumes? I would like a sound for SMS, a sound for email, a sound for phone ... you get the idea.

Yes, the program will permit assignment of different sounds for ringtones and notifications in each profile. However, email and SMS are grouped together as notifications. In fact ICS has both ringtone and notification volumes linked and you need to change a setting in the sound profile program depending on the version of Android OS you are using so it can separate these controls.

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/22/2013 1:18 PM
I don't mind at all! It's proper name is "Advanced Task Killer".

Already tossed you a rec, but wanted to thank you more specifically for this; this app is doing wonders for my speed. I had no idea how often FB and YouTube were running themselves in the background, the damn sneaks. I appreciate the assistance.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 142 of 312
Subject: Re: HTC EVO V 4G Date: 1/22/2013 1:31 PM
Glad I could help.

Yes, a bunch of stuff gets loaded automatically. I actually rooted my phone and deleted some things that were loading that I would never use (like Twitter...I still don't get the appeal of that one). The app killer is nice because I still have the apps when I want to run them, but can truly kill them when I don't. Had I known about it earlier I might not have rooted my phone, in fact.

Do let us know if you end up getting a new phone as you mentioned a few weeks ago.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement