UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736438  
Subject: Re: The McJobs Report Date: 10/5/2012 5:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
http://www.caintv.com/WhosOutofWork-127

[quote] I read an interesting statistic today about unemployment and that was in addition to the 8.2% unemployed, if you add in "discouraged" workers and people who have given up looking, the unemployment rate is around 18%. What? Why wouldn't you count people who are discouraged? The bigger question is, why would the Obama Administration not count all people out of work?

That's like asking what the interest rate is on your mortgage and your banker says, "It's only 4%, because another 5% on top of that would only be discouraging; so it's not 9%. Yes, we know the other 5% is still interest, but we don't count it if it's discouraged.

Why aren't the people who dream this up in some sort of institution? Wait - they are - the Federal Government is an institution, I forgot. Well, as far as explaining the 15% unemployment rate, I'll leave it to my friend, the great director, Barry Levinson, who hasn't given up:

COSTELLO: I want to talk about the unemployment rate in America.

ABBOTT: Good subject. Terrible times. It's 8.2%.

COSTELLO: That many people are out of work?

ABBOTT: No, that's 18%

COSTELLO: You just said 8.2%.

ABBOTT: 8.2% unemployed.

COSTELLO: Right. 8.2% out of work.

ABBOTT: No, that's 18%.

COSTELLO: Okay, so it's 18% unemployed.

ABBOTT: No, that's 8.2%...

COSTELLO: WAIT A MINUTE. Is it 8.2% or 18%?

ABBOTT: 8.2% are unemployed. 18% are out of work.

COSTELLO: If you're out of work, you're unemployed.

ABBOTT: No, you can't count the "out of work" as the unemployed. You have to look for work to be unemployed.

COSTELLO: BUT THEY ARE OUT OF WORK!!!

ABBOTT: No, you miss my point.

COSTELLO: What point?

ABBOTT: Someone who doesn't look for work can't be counted with those who look for work. It wouldn't be fair.

COSTELLO: To who?

ABBOTT: The unemployed.

COSTELLO: But they're ALL out of work.

ABBOTT: No, the unemployed are actively looking for work... Those who are out of work stopped looking. They gave up. And, if you give up, you are no longer in the ranks of the unemployed.

COSTELLO: So if you're off the unemployment rolls, that would count as less unemployment?

ABBOTT: Unemployment would go down. Absolutely!

COSTELLO: The unemployment just goes down because you don't look for work?

ABBOTT: Absolutely it goes down. That's how you get to 8.2%. Otherwise it would be 18%. You don't want to read about 18% unemployment do ya?

COSTELLO: That would be frightening.

ABBOTT: Absolutely.

COSTELLO: Wait, I got a question for you. That means there are two ways to bring down the unemployment number?

ABBOTT: Two ways is correct.

COSTELLO: Unemployment can go down if someone gets a job?

ABBOTT: Correct.

COSTELLO: And unemployment can also go down if you stop looking for a job?

ABBOTT: Bingo.

COSTELLO: So there are two ways to bring unemployment down, and the easier of the two is to just stop looking for work.

ABBOTT: Now you're thinking like a Democrat.

COSTELLO: I don't even know what the heck I just said! [quote]
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement