Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hubby died in October of 2009, which means I will file as single this year (emphasis added). Or, as some of us would say, "for 2010."

During the year, I paid for some things like real estate taxes and mortgage and the like which should be deductible. My husband was the only one on the mortgage and the house during our marriage.

And after his death?

This is not just nosiness. If the property and mortgage were transferred to you and the people issuing the statements just didn't update their records, yes, you can deduct the items you paid. Since you didn't get a 1098 in your SSN you report the mortgage interest on the Schedule A line for interest not reported on a 1098. You also get people to update their records.

If the property didn't transfer to you, what happened to it? Maybe one of the pros knows a way of deducting items for a property not in your name if you have an interest in it.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.