UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1481  
Subject: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 1:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I had a post pulled on this board, the first time I've ever had a post pulled from any board for any reason. I was told it was the incorrect board for posting. I apologize to the board for the post; I really didn't think it was off-topic, but I suppose opinions vary.

You guys might need to relax a bit, though. If the board is going to be that strict about topics, could we add to the FAQ a list of the topics that are acceptable/unacceptable?

- tmeri
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 442 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 2:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey, so clue us unfortunate souls in that didn't have a chance to read your post. What was it about?

I'm all for FA a post if it's crude or vulgar and it's not on the HURL board, but I've seen over the years that most posts that get pulled are not of that sort. I've had several ones of mine pulled and I don't think that I get too out of line.

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 443 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 2:53 PM
tmeri says,

I had a post pulled on this board, the first time I've ever had a post pulled from any board for any reason. I was told it was the incorrect board for posting. I apologize to the board for the post; I really didn't think it was off-topic, but I suppose opinions vary.

You guys might need to relax a bit, though. If the board is going to be that strict about topics, could we add to the FAQ a list of the topics that are acceptable/unacceptable?

Hi tmeri,

After I read your post, I looked for the post the would have immediately proceeded it. Since it is now gone, I assume that it's the one that got pulled. If so, I too am puzzled as to why it would get pulled. While I don't remember the exact subject of the post--OK my memory is not as good--IIRC it was a money saving post. It was totally in keeping with the board purpose.

This is not good if on-topic posts get pulled--the board won't last long. If you can remind me of the topic--might want to reply privately--I'd be willing to send a protest email to TMF.

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 444 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 3:09 PM
mazske is curious:

Hey, so clue us unfortunate souls in that didn't have a chance to read your post. What was it about?

I've sent workwayless a copy of the letter I got from TMF. I am uncomfortable repeating the information here because I've already been told it was inappropriate, and I don't think TMF is very tolerant of people who post material again after it has been pulled. Sorry, mazske.

- tmeri

Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 3:19 PM
I've sent workwayless a copy of the letter I got from TMF. I am uncomfortable repeating the information here because I've already been told it was inappropriate, and I don't think TMF is very tolerant of people who post material again after it has been pulled. Sorry, mazske.

No apology is necessary. I was just curious. If you have it saved though, you could e-mail it to me.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 446 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 3:25 PM
Huh?  
Re: Huh?   

Heh, heh!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 447 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 5:00 PM
I've sent workwayless a copy of the letter I got from TMF.

tmeri, I got it, and I sent a letter to TMFBogey. I'll keep you informed...

Author: LEOLOneeds2Bfire Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 448 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 6:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
tmeri:
I was told it was the incorrect board for posting.

Don't you know that all off topic posts belong on the REHP board? <grin>

How could it be off topic? RWOL is about life and that covers just about everything. Don't let this stop you from posting tmeri for I enjoy reading all your posts.

Leolo
Who wonders if posting about off-topic posts off topic?

Author: jenefair One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 449 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 8:32 PM
I don't recall what it was, so it didn't stand out to me as OT. <shrug>. Keep posting! =)

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 450 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/21/2004 9:26 PM
Recommendations: 4
Leolo writes:

Don't you know that all off topic posts belong on the REHP board? <grin>

Indeed. That's what is so confusing to me about this. Most of what is over on REHP is off topic. So why did TMF want to come over here and pick on my post that really wasn't off topic?

Don't let this stop you from posting tmeri for I enjoy reading all your posts.

Thanks for the encouragement. It helps to hear that.

Who wonders if posting about off-topic posts off topic?

I did wonder about that. I figure this thread will stay until whoever decided the other post had to go reads this board again. I just can't believe a TMF staff member who has been reading this board regularly would consider what I posted to be inappropriate for this board. And with all of the posts going on at TMF, you just gotta bet that TMF staff members have their hands absolutely full at the controversial boards. This board is small, quiet, and extraordinarily well-behaved.

Therefore, I've just gotta believe someone FA'ed my post and a TMF member unfamiliar with the board pulled it in an abundance of caution. It would be really oppressive to think that TMF decided to do this on their own.

- tmeri

Author: Hunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 451 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/22/2004 8:58 AM
Wait, was that the post about the cheap art posters? I know I read that somewhere.

I have no idea why that was pulled, but it's always possible someone just complained it was "advertising or soliciting". Now I saw the post, so I know that's complete BS, but who knows.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
exTMF

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 452 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/22/2004 9:59 AM
Recommendations: 4
Hunzi inquires:

Wait, was that the post about the cheap art posters?

Posters, yes, cheap art, no. ;-)

it's always possible someone just complained it was "advertising or soliciting".

The reason given by TMF was "incorrect board." The ban on advertising or soliciting applies to all boards, so that does not line up.

Besides, it clearly wasn't an advertisement. And it certainly wasn't soliciting; I could care less whether anyone buys something. I was making people aware of something I had found that I thought was a really good deal. That happens all over TMF.

If someone complained about that, they need to get a life.

And perhaps TMF needs to use a little more caution about pulling a post just because someone complained. Sure, the complainer is happy now, but some of the rest of us are having to deal with the consequences, trying to figure out what is acceptable and what is not. Doesn't it seem likely that pulling that post will have a negative impact on people posting now? If they are going to pull the post, they need to clarify at the same time so that people can know what is allowed. Otherwise, people may be reluctant to post because the rules are not clear.

- tmeri

Author: Hunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 453 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/22/2004 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 3
Posters, yes, cheap art, no. ;-)

Art posters on the cheap. Better? ;-)

I very nearly replied to the original post but couldn't quite find the words. This is sort of the idea, but it's semi-unfocused, and not really a commentary on the posters as much as my thoughts on art in general.

I think having art in the home is important. If posters are the only way you can do it, or are your preference, cool. Somewhere along the way however, I decided that original art is worth the money.

Looking around my house, you'd probably never guess that. I don't really have any posters, (except for the one in the bathroom, because the humidity in there wouldn't be good for anything else, unless I can find or maybe even paint myself, a little thought that's been rattling around in my head), but I do have a couple of signed prints of some kind and a couple of paintings (one of which is probably only fit to be hung in a toolshed, and I'm so ready to say goodbye to it, but it is the first piece of art I ever bought).

I'll never be able own an original Picasso, but I'd rather live with a blank wall longer and save a little cash and buy the perfect painting from a local artist. (Or as displayed in my office, the perfect paintings were original artwork of my then 4yr old, framed and hung), and I have another self portrait of hers created at age 8, I plan to hang soon.

I actually have a couple of paintings on my wishlist. One of the Fools I made friends with via these boards is quite talented, and I'd kill to own one (actually several) of her works, and there's this incredible painting on display at a local restaurant that I drool over each time we visit. I have the price for that one rattling around in the back of my head. One of these days I may have to go to the restaurant with a tape measure to be sure it's not too big for the spot I keep seeing it in my head (or actually on my bedroom wall).

Art is just one of those little things that for me is worth the money, but that doesn't mean that art posters on the cheap aren't.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 454 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/22/2004 10:41 AM
Recommendations: 6
tmeri,

The post has been restored, sorry about that. Got some mixed signals. Just for the record, you can always respond to administrator mail to state your case, or just tell us we are full of it :)

Richard

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 455 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/22/2004 2:41 PM
I think having art in the home is important. If posters are the only way you can do it, or are your preference, cool. Somewhere along the way however, I decided that original art is worth the money.

I agree. I actually do not have any posters. I do have a fairly large number of original pieces of art, mostly watercolor, silkscreen, and oil. I prefer original art, but it's really expensive. I've seen some decors that included poster/reproductions of great art, and I thought they looked terrific. Prints can be very beautiful, if displayed properly.

- tmeri

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 460 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/23/2004 8:52 AM
I agree. I actually do not have any posters. I do have a fairly large number of original pieces of art, mostly watercolor, silkscreen, and oil. I prefer original art, but it's really expensive. I've seen some decors that included poster/reproductions of great art, and I thought they looked terrific. Prints can be very beautiful, if displayed properly.

At present, our art collection includes the 62 stick-its attached to our door that my duaghter has drawn a princess on. It also includes a wonderful collage of crayon on one wall done by her sister when she was under 2, and the ever-popular Flower-And-Pen combo.
Who needs Monet?

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 474 of 1481
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/31/2004 11:44 AM
At present, our art collection includes the 62 stick-its attached to our door that my duaghter has drawn a princess on. It also includes a wonderful collage of crayon on one wall done by her sister when she was under 2, and the ever-popular Flower-And-Pen combo.

I love children's art. Children have the advantage in art of not being limited by some set of rules for what looks good, and the results are often very attractive.

- tmeri

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement