UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (143) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mjcalab Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35367  
Subject: Re: BW: Its Happening Date: 6/9/2005 6:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Huh? Are you suggesting only putting money into savings accounts and other principal preserving assets? I would still advocate young people follow some kind of standard asset allocation plan (stocks, bonds, real estate, international), presumably updated for changing times. My view is that if economic growth is less in the future (which doesn't necessarily mean a lower standard of living, if standard of living is measured as quality of life not how much stuff people buy), then returns on investment will be less, overall. A sensible asset allocation plan should still be the best way to optimize what real return is available.

Lokicious

Please don't misunderstand me, you make this board and we all enjoy reading your posts. I do admire your writing ability, but my life experiences leads me, at times, to see things differently then you do. You talk about the historic average return, this is just a reference point, for it is not our reality, our investment lives are too short. What we experience is some small parts of that historic average that turns out to be a violent roller coaster ride with the potential to wipe out our savings. Huh?..yes you guest it exactly, at this time it is hard enough to limit ones losses, I follow the first rule in investing, don't loose money. Presently our government is stealing our savings and encouraging us to take risks that only benefit the financial industry. It is times like this to stand aside. Using asset allocation to spread our savings over high-risk low return investments only benefits the financial industry at our expense. I have no way of knowing what the future holds and my only guide post is rate of return related to risk. I view the deflation of all assets as good times ahead for rates of returns will improve. It will create investment opportunities. I like the globalization that is going on for it raises the standard of living of all people. If things work out in this world as it did in our country the increasing demand for everything will benefit everyone. But it is this same globalization that makes markets and the future so unpredictable.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (143) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement