Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Huh. OK, then while it's no longer that important to me, I'm curious: how are you expected to do this, without running into the catch-22 I described earlier?

Arizona was/is one more state in that category. IIRC, they instruct you to complete your Federal return first. Since state taxes on that return are almost always on a cash basis (deduct the state taxes actually paid during the year) you can do that without completing the state return. Then complete your state return, using your actual Federal tax as the deduction.

But that was Arizona, and a few years ago. I don't know about any of the other states that have been mentioned.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.