Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193211  
Subject: Humbug! Date: 11/16/2012 11:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
OK, I long ago gave up complaining about Christmas decorations and music starting Halloween. But I'm just home from a trip to Whole Paycheck to pick up some celery root and stinky cheese that I need for Thanksgiving. They're selling freakin' Christmas trees (fresh ones) in the parking lot!

I give up.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool and newly-minted Scrooge
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191134 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/16/2012 12:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
They're selling freakin' Christmas trees (fresh ones) in the parking lot!

Just what you need—a nice dried-out tree by Christmas Eve.

Bob

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191135 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/16/2012 12:33 PM
Recommendations: 3
Just what you need—a nice dried-out tree by Christmas Eve.

Perfect for roasting chestnuts while awaiting Santa when you don't have an actual fireplace. . .

Chili
fire-phobic

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191136 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/16/2012 5:39 PM
Recommendations: 2
I thought those were Thanksgiving Bushes....

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191139 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 2:34 AM
Recommendations: 7
Christmas IS NOT FREAKING!!!

No, but you seem to be, Kahuna dear. Please take a deep breath and look again at the post that freaked you. Grammatically, it's very clear that it's the TREES that are freaking. Because they are too early and will drop all their needles and be sad, ugly fire hazards before Christmas. You see?

RDW

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191141 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 10:32 AM
I thought those were Thanksgiving Bushes....

Yes, the Pilgrims were surrounded by them. The ancestors of those bushes were big enough for turkeys to roost in them.

RM

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191142 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 11:08 AM
They're selling freakin' Christmas trees (fresh ones) in the parking lot!

I am convinced that in the near future, there will be no Thanksgiving celebrated in the US. After all, it's a fairly "minor" holiday now, getting absolutely no time in the stores and without any real decorations.

When my nephews were young, my sister used to decorate for Thanksgiving, putting up cardboard Pilgrims and turkeys and cornucopia, etc. And the supermarkets all did that too.

This year I never saw one "purely" Thanksgiving decoration anywhere. Oh, there were lots of Halloween decorations a few weeks before Halloween and a random pumpkin here and there. But I never saw one Pilgrim or horn-of-plenty.

And the local supermarkets put the Christmas stuff IN THE WINDOWS a couple of weeks ago.

I'm telling you, in a few years, we'll be saying things like "....remember way back when when there was an actual holiday called "Thanksgiving"?"

Christina

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191143 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 12:06 PM
I am convinced that in the near future, there will be no Thanksgiving celebrated in the US.

I hope you are wrong, Christina.

Thanksgiving is the only holiday that I enjoy celebrating.

Chili

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191145 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 12:24 PM
I hope you are wrong, Christina.

Well, I would hope that I am too but it really looks that way to me....

Thanksgiving is the only holiday that I enjoy celebrating.

Well, even if the time comes that it's no longer a "national holiday", we traditionalists can go on celebrating it!!!!

Christina

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191146 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 12:25 PM
I'm telling you, in a few years, we'll be saying things like "....remember way back when when there was an actual holiday called "Thanksgiving"?"

There will always be a Thanksgiving as long as I'm around. Or, as I sometimes call it, "National Gravy Appreciation Day."

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191147 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 12:57 PM
" After all, it's a fairly "minor" holiday now, getting absolutely no time in the stores and without any real decorations."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes I think NYC is in a different universe.

Merchandizing does not make a holiday - although it can feed off
a holiday.
One of the routine office events at every company I have ever
worked for was the Thanksgiving "bring in a covered dish" day -
where the company would spring for a ham or turkey plus
some fixings and everyone would bring in something to
nibble upon.
One of the routine peak travel times? - Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin pie?
Turkey?
Cornucopias?
Ceramic pilgrims?
Ceramic indians?
Football? - possibly the only NFL games I bother to watch are over
the Thanksgiving holiday.

Yes, the stores simultaneously sell stuff for all the
holidays (I think I could find an Easter Bunny in some
of the drug store chains today if I looked hard enough) -
but Thanksgiving was, is, and shall be.

Howie52

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191148 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 1:00 PM
" They're selling freakin' Christmas trees (fresh ones) in the parking lot!

I give up.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool and newly-minted Scrooge "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, how many did you buy?

Howie52
And have you found the bare spots yet?

The bear spots are easier to detect.

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191149 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 1:23 PM
A long as Macy's keeps their parade going, there is hope.

RM

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191150 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 1:58 PM
Sometimes I think NYC is in a different universe.

NYC was not my only reference point.

Merchandizing does not make a holiday

Did I say that it did?

I also commented about my sister decorating with Pilgrims, turkeys, etc. -- and AFAIK, she wasn't "merchandising".

Thanksgiving was, is, and shall be.

Well, the "was" isn't actually that long. And I too hope that it "shall be". Even if I never see another Pilgrim or cornucopia.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191151 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 2:01 PM
A long as Macy's keeps their parade going, there is hope.

True, RM. And they have to keep it going because Santa arrives on the last float in the Parade!!!

Christina

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191152 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 4:11 PM
This year I never saw one "purely" Thanksgiving decoration anywhere. Oh, there were lots of Halloween decorations a few weeks before Halloween and a random pumpkin here and there. But I never saw one Pilgrim or horn-of-plenty
---------------

Thanksgiving remains uncommercialized. I hope it stays that way.

But I hear what you are saying.

Yoda

Author: crocket838 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191153 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 6:47 PM
Or, as I sometimes call it, "National Gravy Appreciation Day."

You must be related to Erma Bombeck?

Found a quote of hers. "I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage."

Crocket

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191154 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 6:52 PM
Thanksgiving remains uncommercialized.

"Uncommercialized" is one thing; IMHO, "unrecognized" is yet another.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191155 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/17/2012 7:04 PM
"National Gravy Appreciation Day."

Regulars here may remember my stories about the "mushroom gravy" that my Mom (God rest her soul, as they say) made for Thanksgiving. Slice a whole load of mushrooms paper thin and then boil them forever. The water has a whole load of flavor -- the mushrooms, not so much.

Over the years, I kept trying to make changes to that "recipe" (pardon me while I laugh here because there was no recipe). My sister's constant response was (and this is an exact quote): "That's not the way Mom made it".

At some point in time I started to make "real" turkey gravy and while my nephews were reluctant to admit it, it definitely was better tasting than the traditional mushroom gravy (which I also continued to make).

I do have to say that if you add milk to the "mushroom gravy", it makes a really tasty mushroom soup, particularly since I added some thyme to the mix.

Christina

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191156 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 12:00 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Sometimes I think NYC is in a different universe.

NYC was not my only reference point.

Merchandizing does not make a holiday

Did I say that it did?

I also commented about my sister decorating with Pilgrims, turkeys, etc. -- and AFAIK, she wasn't "merchandising".

Thanksgiving was, is, and shall be.

Well, the "was" isn't actually that long. And I too hope that it "shall be". Even if I never see another Pilgrim or cornucopia.

Christina "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a) I suspect you don't always recognize how much influence the
locale has on the denizens perspective. It is a natural aspect
of living in an area.

b) You implied that the holiday was declining. Although you were
not overly out-coming as to the reasons why - I thought that perhaps
you in a funk.
Smile.

c) Pilgrims and cornucopias are in abundance. They compete with
Halloween and Christmas decorations and Christmas music playing
24/7 already - but that has been the case for quite a while.

We all have reasons to say "Thanks be to God."
We all have reasons to say "Oh, heck."

I do not hear folks complaining about Thanksgiving in the south or
in the mid-west. Actually, the northeast generally has not been
complaining either.
Y'all have been through a rough period and there are times when
days to weeks without power and seeing folks displaced causes
folks to focus - actually requires folks to focus on the ills
of our time and the problems in the neighborhoods. But there are
more reasons to be thankful if folks choose to be open to them.

Howie52
Which is a long-winded and preachy way to say "Hang in and
try to have a happy and plentiful Thanksgiving".
All things in life are subject to change.
You mainly choose what is important and what changes in your life.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191157 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 12:16 PM
Recommendations: 6
But there are more reasons to be thankful if folks choose to be open to them.

True, but sometimes it takes a mighty crowbar.

Thanksgiving was always the most important holiday in my immediate family. So much in November to be thankful for--my parents' anniversary, and both my brother's and my birthdays. Five days apart. "You boys were planned."

After my mother died June 30, 2001 I was dreading the approach of Thanksgiving. I went through all the motions, but my heart wasn't in it. Thanksgiving morning I went to church before heading to Dad's to cook. I do love the three hymns, but it was the sermon that got through to me.

Apocryphal or not, the priest's take on the first Thanksgiving struck a chord. He said that the Pilgrim's had suffered so much that their first idea was to have a day of mourning. In the end they decided that no matter how bad things had been, they had more to be thankful for. So while my Thanksgiving prayer notes those no longer at the table, it gives thanks for the time I had with them.

Just home from doing my Gravy Day trip to market, humming "Come, Ye Thankful People" all the way.

Phil

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191158 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 1:01 PM
I thought that perhaps you in a funk.

Nope.

"Hang in and try to have a happy and plentiful Thanksgiving".

I don't need to "hang in and TRY <emphasis provided>" to have a happy and plentiful Thanksgiving. I WILL be having an absolutely wonderful Thanksgiving and, as always, will give thanks for all that I have.

All things in life are subject to change. You mainly choose what is important and what changes in your life.

While I agree that all things in life are subject to change, I totally disagree with the notion that "you mainly choose...what changes in your life". That's just not true. There are many changes (in things both unimportant and things REALLY important) that we have absolutely NO control over.

And I think you might have missed my other posts where I say that as a traditionalist, I will be celebrating T'giving for as long as I live.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191159 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 1:07 PM
Just home from doing my Gravy Day trip to market, humming "Come, Ye Thankful People" all the way.

Hey Phil, just wondering if you still use the same great basic recipe you had posted on the Recipe Board some years back?

Or have you made any major adjustments?

Christina, who (I think) will be making the gravy again this year

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191160 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 3:18 PM
" I think you might have missed my other posts"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No, I don't miss your posts.
This is the one board I find where all the posts are important.
If I find myself missing months at TMF - which does happen from
time to time - I will miss entire threads. But when there is
some post that triggers me to respond, I read the thread.

Not to say that I interpret the posts and comments as they were intended - frequently quite the opposite.
And not always intentionally.
Just at times and in some moods.

Howie52
And in passing, we do have control - over how we choose to interpret
events. Events themselves are only partially within our ken - but
how we respond - how we take them into our minds - that is a horse
of a different color.

Admittedly, there are times when we may be treated as if we are
absolutely delirious or deficient or just plain wrong-headed in the way
we choose - and perhaps we are.
But an individual decides their own vision of the world and decides how
they will behave in response.
And that places the individual in control to my mind.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191161 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 3:48 PM
And in passing, we do have control - over how we choose to interpret events.

In your earlier post, Howie, you intimated that folks have control over the changes in their life -- and I said that I didn't agree with that.

Now you've changed that to say that we have control "over how we choose to interpret events". That's a lot different than saying that we have control over the changes.

But, let me say again, I am a traditionalist and will always celebrate Thanksgiving. In fact, I celebrate it with a lower case "t" all the time -- I know that I've been blessed in many, many ways and I am eternally grateful for that.

And...I will be having a most delightful Thanksgiving (and believe you me, it will be plentiful!) and I hope that you and yours will too.

Christina

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191162 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 4:34 PM
Hey Phil, just wondering if you still use the same great basic recipe you had posted on the Recipe Board some years back?

Nope, haven't changed that one since I don't know when. And so easy. With the advent of Wondra I can't imagine how anyone gets lumps nowadays.

Phil

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191163 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 5:09 PM
With the advent of Wondra I can't imagine how anyone gets lumps nowadays.

I love Wondra too but find that even if I don't use that, so long as I sift the regular flour, there usually are no lumps.

Christina, gravy-maker

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191164 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/18/2012 10:42 PM
"In your earlier post, Howie, you intimated that folks have control over the changes in their life -- and I said that I didn't agree with that.

Now you've changed that to say that we have control "over how we choose to interpret events". That's a lot different than saying that we have control over the changes."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perhaps you missed the word. "mainly" in the earlier post.
Perhaps not.
Regardless we must be content to disagree.
Not a first.
Likely not to be the last.
But also not to impact my enjoying your posts, company and views.

Howie52

DW and I will be driving up to Maryland for Thanksgiving with
my sister and BIL plus our oldest kiddo and others who may stop by.
Youngest kiddo is working Wednesday and Friday through Monday so
he will miss the holiday.
I'm baking a pumpkin pie as I post for him to have during the week
while we are gone. We will hit the road Tuesday.

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191167 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/19/2012 12:34 PM
I'm baking a pumpkin pie as I post for him to have during the week
while we are gone.

Very nice of you.

I got an email from my MIL today telling me they are having a small dinner at their house (when I called her yesterday she had no clue, I think I must have gotten the ball rolling, 2 of DH's brothers will be there.) I was informed I was to bring a PUMPKIN pie and either an APPLE or BERRY pie, (and the whipped cream). She actually capitalized them. I was a bit annoyed. I was planning on making a blueberry pie anyway whether we were invited to something or not, I even was planning on making a real pumpkin pie out of the pie pumpkins now slow roasting in my oven. (I hate canned pumpkin pie, made one once, we threw it out).

I asked DH if I was over reacting with my annoyance. He thought so, then tells me he happened to mention to his mom that I would do all sorts of stuff and just happened to forget to tell me. *sigh* So it's all his fault and not his mother's. Anyway, I'm not annoyed with her anymore. I'm even bringing extra things like pickled green tomatoes, homemade applesauce (I don't DO apple pie) and my homemade jalapeno jelly.

At least I don't have to cook the turkey I bought, just in case, I can save that for Christmas when my younger sis and her BF are here.

RM

PS - Got my Christmas lights on the house, Christina, but they won't be turned on till Friday. ;-)

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191170 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/19/2012 7:35 PM
" I even was planning on making a real pumpkin pie out of the pie pumpkins now slow roasting in my oven. (I hate canned pumpkin pie, made one once, we threw it out)."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It took me a couple years but I finally figured out how to make a
pumpkin pie using canned pumpkin.

The main trick is to take the pumpkin out of the can.
this alone does wonders.

Howie52
There tends to be more moisture using fresh pumpkin - so the
filling tends toward denser using canned pumpkin. I tend to adjust
by adding less sugar (typically recipes call for 3/4 cup sugar. I
never use more than 1/2 cup. Then I tend to add more cinnamon (1
heaping teaspoon), a tad more ginger (what folks used to call an
extra pinch), a pinch more cloves and always add 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.
I use one can of evaporated milk - then bake at 425 to 450 for 15 minutes
then drop to 350 for 60 minutes.

Author: bosslady52 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191177 of 193211
Subject: Re: Humbug! Date: 11/21/2012 10:09 PM
I'm with you, Phil...earlier every year!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement