Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3919  
Subject: Humming bird feeder Date: 8/30/2012 9:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a problem with my humming bird feeder.
Seems bees have found this a great place to drink up; now my feeder is covered every day with bees, and the hummers hare staying away.
Anyone have any solutions?

Rile
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3855 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 8/30/2012 7:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I thought hummingbird feeders came with bee guards.
Yours are missing? or have the bees found a work around?

A/L

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3856 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 8/31/2012 8:20 AM
No bee guards on my feeder

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3857 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 8/31/2012 8:49 AM
There are bees all over my garden, but they never have bothered with the hummingbird feeders. I use Humm Zinger brand feeders - flying saucer styled. The small ones are about 15 dollars, larger ones can go up to 35. They're worth it.

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3858 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 8/31/2012 1:43 PM
The last fider I had had small plastic cages over the openings; didn't know they for keeping bees away. I could never get them clean as the black crud kept building up on the inside of the cage where you couldn't get at it.
Guess I'll have to go back to that style.

Rile

Author: QuietNorm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3859 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 8/31/2012 8:57 PM
A couple of things have helped me discourage bees:

1. Avoid yellow flower openings as they seem to attract bees. In the past I have used red nail polish to paint over yellow ones.

2. Avoid spilling any syrup when refilling the feeder. Bees seem able to find syrup from leaks and spills.

3. Remove the feeder for a few days -- it seems that bees have shorter memories than do the hummers.

Good luck,
Norm

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3860 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 9/16/2012 12:00 AM
it seems that bees have shorter memories than do the hummers.

Hummers have an awesome memory. I used to have a "window" feeder. Last year I decided not to have the feeder on the window because of the filth on the brick window ledge below.

Yesterday, a female hummer came by and was flying around the window looking for the feeder!!!

I filled up my feeder for the migrating hummers, but I think rain diluted the sugar water. I have had more problem with sugar ants than the occasional bees.

Birgit

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3861 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 9/16/2012 9:36 AM
The feeder I was using which had all the bee problems has a neat "moat" at the top which you fill with water and the ants cannot get to the feeding ports.
So I solved the ant problem only to have a bee problem.
Next year I'll have to go back to a feeder with the bee cage over the ports, and put vaseline gel on the suspension wire.

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3863 of 3919
Subject: Re: Humming bird feeder Date: 10/9/2012 9:02 AM
Well, the freezing of the seeds did not work; my seed is again infested.
Maybe I'll try buying seed from a different vendor.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement