Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58668  
Subject: Hungry Planet Date: 1/27/2013 8:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
An interesting photo gallery in Time showing some pics of families around the world and their food purchases for the week. Note that while some families have a lot of fruits and vegetables, families from the more industrialized nations tend to have many more prepackaged foods. The family from Great Britain had just a tiny bit of green in one area of the table. I also found it interesting that American breakfast cereals show up in a lot of the pictures, as well as American brand potato chips.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.htm...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57581 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 1/27/2013 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I find it interesting that there is very little meat--or other animal products for that matter--on most of the pics. Lots of produce and grains--iow it seems most of the world seems to follow primarily a plant-based diet.

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57582 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 1/27/2013 11:12 PM
Cool pictures! It makes me want to do that with all my family's food for a week. I really don't know how it would look. Lots of fruit, lots of carrots, not nearly as much grain as some of those, not nearly as much packaged food. But some of those, more if you count what my stepson eats when I don't make supper. And if you count what DD eats at school lunches. Tomorrow is "cheese dippers." Sigh.

ThyPeace, ready for bed now.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57583 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 1/28/2013 1:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
Fascinating! My favorite was Chad. Their favorite dish was fresh mutton and no meat in sight in the groceries, which must mean they slaughter their own meat.

MOI

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57584 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 1/28/2013 3:40 PM
Fascinating! My favorite was Chad. Their favorite dish was fresh mutton and no meat in sight in the groceries, which must mean they slaughter their own meat.

Yes, raising their own meat is pretty common there. It's one of the reasons they tend to have more of a plant based diet. It can be expensive to raise animals to eat them. It's more common for them to raise animals for what they can get from them without killing them.

When DD#2 was in high school, she and her youth group raised money to buy farm animals for villages in various countries through Heifer International. It was an awesome program with sponsors purchasing cows, goats, and chickens for a family in a village. The family in turn, would raise chickens and share both eggs and chickens with the other villagers. Same with the goats and cows. The idea being that once you provide them with seed stock, they can then be more self sufficient.

When we lived in Libya, there were camels for sale in the marketplace that were slaughtered for food after they had outlived their usefulness as pack animals.

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57585 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 1/28/2013 3:58 PM
I find it interesting that there is very little meat--or other animal products for that matter--on most of the pics. Lots of produce and grains--iow it seems most of the world seems to follow primarily a plant-based diet.

That's because raising animals for meat is really expensive. Much more economical to raise them for their byproducts: eggs, milk, cheese. The wealthier a nation is, typically, the higher the meat consumption.

I was just appalled at all the junk food that seemed to be in every country that has a good relationship with the West.

LWW

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57589 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 2/9/2013 11:43 PM
That was really interesting. I love seeing how other people eat. I don't feel like my family's groceries looked like any of the pictures.

This is totally random, but the family from California had their carrots in a mug, and I have the exact same mug.

DEG

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57590 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 2/10/2013 10:27 AM
I don't feel like my family's groceries looked like any of the pictures.

Ours are more of a mix. Since we don't do dairy, legumes, grains or processed foods.

So are you considering "mugging" your carrots? :0)

LWW

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57591 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 2/10/2013 4:31 PM
So are you considering "mugging" your carrots? :0)

That was terrible.

We don't eat meat and eat hardly any dairy or eggs, but there would be some. We would have several cartons of soy, almond, and coconut milk and some boxes of crackers, but that's it for boxed foods. There would also be a few cans of things like beans or tomatoes.

One thing I noticed is the variety we enjoy that many countries just don't have access to. You would not find a particularly large sack of any bean or grain, but would instead find 6 or 7 small bags because we rarely eat the same one for more than two meals in a week. We're very lucky here.

I also noticed that the family in North Carolina spent about twice as much as we do for a similarly sized family. (Their kids are older, so I'm sure they eat more. But if you've ever seen my kids pack it away, maybe not much more.) People always complain that eating healthy is too expensive, or eating vegetarian is too expensive, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

DEG

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57592 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 2/10/2013 9:48 PM
People always complain that eating healthy is too expensive, or eating vegetarian is too expensive, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've often wondered how much additional junkfood people who complain about the cost might also be buying. I have a friend who has gone pretty much vegan. I say pretty much because she still makes fish dishes for her husband (although she doesn't eat them).

On the one hand it's all "Yay for healthy eating" but then again, pasta, bread, and potatoes are all technically vegan, and her husband is a diabetic who has to lose another 35lbs to be considered for a heart transplant, so the stuff she is cooking is darned near signing his death warrant.

Plus, she still buys all sorts of junk food for their son all based on it's vegan so it must be healthy. For the record, I do not see Doritos as an essential part of anyone's diet.

LWW

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57593 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 2/11/2013 1:44 AM
Plus, she still buys all sorts of junk food for their son all based on it's vegan so it must be healthy.

I haven't seen recent statistics. The older statistics showed vegans living no longer than meat eaters. Ovo-lacto vegetarian life span was longer than both.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57594 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 2/11/2013 9:28 AM
Ovo-lacto vegetarian life span was longer than both.

Yeah!!!

Adding that--apart from the diabetes issue-- it's entirely possible for the husband of that lady to lose 35 lbs eating 'pasta, bread, and potatoes'. I'm not advocating the Doritos thing, but carbs aren't the devil--even when it comes to weightloss:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

http://www.today.com/id/40424707/site/todayshow/ns/today-tod...

http://scienceblog.com/10323/vegetarian-diets-cause-major-we...

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57595 of 58668
Subject: Re: Hungry Planet Date: 2/11/2013 3:09 PM
The older statistics showed vegans living no longer than meat eaters. Ovo-lacto vegetarian life span was longer than both.

I could see that. Allowing the by-products but not the actual meat still provides important nutrients.

Right now they seem to be in desperation mode. He's bombed every healthy diet they've ever been on and the only thing that was finally a wakeup call was getting the LVAD. But even then, he thought it was going to give his heart a rest so he didn't have to have a transplant and gained quite a bit of weight after coming out of the hospital the last time.

Studies have shown that a low-carb diet does help diabetics, but he just can't seem to stick to anything and she jumps on any diet that promises to cure him. She decided last year that meat was the enemy, so she hasn't allowed him to eat meat for over a year. The problem is that he will still go out and have "vegetarian" chinese food.

On the flip side, her mom almost killed him at Thanksgiving when she gave him canned vegan chili since he couldn't have turkey. He had it for two meals (dinner and lunch), and two days later the resulting fluid gain from the sodium landed him in the hospital with congestive heart failure. His Dr. told him he would have been better off just having a small serving of turkey.

I do worry about them a lot. They are expecting their second child and I have doubts that he'll live to even see their 6 year old graduate from high shcool. Hopefully, their daughter will have some memories of him.

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement