UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31152  
Subject: hunters on posted land Date: 11/23/2012 7:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We just bought 59 acres of raw land. a long time dream! I have been told that not only do the locals ignore the posted signs but hunt and use quads all over it for fun. this place has a lot of damage due to that.

any idea's short of carrying a fire arm and shooting at them?

Getting a new job as a forest manager.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Leana Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30361 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/23/2012 8:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Find out who is doing it and talk to them. Try to make it non-confrontational. These "locals" are your new neighbors.

Leana

Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30362 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/23/2012 2:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
4thebird,

Welcome to the country.

any idea's short of carrying a fire arm and shooting at them?

Hope you are kidding with this one. I would have a talk with the local law enforcement and get some ideas from them.

Fencing and signs do work. Signs alone are not much of a deterrent. Fencing is expensive. A quarter mile of 5 wire fence will use 5 rolls of barbed wire and 132 T-posts plus corner sets and a mid point which is around $375 for the wire and $600 for the T-posts. Depending on how the corners and mids are made and how many you need, they will run $200 to $600 each. (These are wood or heavy steel pipe)

Woven cattle fence is more expensive. The 4 rolls of fence would be around $800 for a quarter mile. Normally, it is topped with 1 or two pieces of barbed wire at $75 each for the quarter mile. T-posts, corners and mid points would be the same as the 5 wire.

You will need one or more openings so a 12 to 16 foot gate will run $90 to $120 plus 2 posts(6x6 8 feet long treated) and a chain and lock.

If you hire this out, the price will probably double.

Gene

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30363 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/23/2012 5:45 PM
Find out who is doing it and talk to them. Try to make it non-confrontational. These "locals" are your new neighbors.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I like this best of all.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30364 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 8:30 AM
Talk to local law enforcement. Also talk to locals. Turn part of the land into a deer lease. Tell locals if they want to hunt, pay the annual fee.

JLC

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30365 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 9:20 AM
Recommendations: 1
Depending on the State in which the land is located, you might want to talk with local game wardens. By way of example, when I hunted there, Alabama seemed to have more Game Wardens than State Police. That State has a lot of TVA land that you can readily hunt, but it tends to be surrounded by privately owned land and State law dictates having written permission of land owners on your person. The game wardens loved checking for licenses and, if on private property, written permission to be there. In a week long deer hunt I got checked for licensing at least once a day, sometimes two or three times.

I thought the comment about renting some, much or all of the land out to hunters a good one, especially if you can find a small club of responsible hunters who will help you keep an eye on the place. If you do that I would require that they provide a Certificate of General Liability Insurance listing you as an Additional Insured and talk with a competent attorney about drafting a Hold Harmless Agreement in a lease contract. You also want to make sure that their insurance is/will be Primary, yours Excess, for their acts - Contract and policy wording are important.

Bob

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30366 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 12:52 PM
allowing hunting right now is the last thing on my mind. we walked the property and found sign of one deer. there is so little deer food and under story that I think the deer would have to pack its lunch. What I did find is lots of shot gun shells and places where atv's have made mud pits. we pulled downed trees onto the trails and posted signs Sunday.

I keep reminding myself that once, I am done the land will come back. Just so sad looking now.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30367 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 1:00 PM
allowing hunting right now is the last thing on my mind. we walked the property and found sign of one deer. there is so little deer food and under story that I think the deer would have to pack its lunch. What I did find is lots of shot gun shells and places where atv's have made mud pits. we pulled downed trees onto the trails and posted signs Sunday.

Check to see if your state has a purple paint statute. A purple paint statutes allows homeowners to mark trees with purple paint to indicate no trespassing. It is equivalent to no trespassing signs. There are a number of states that have adopted this type of markings. There are some guidelines on where the paint is put on a tree. I'd use a combination of "no trespassing" signs every 100 or so feet and purple paint on the rest of the trees along the border of the property.

PSU

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30368 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 1:48 PM
I keep reminding myself that once, I am done the land will come back.

Ever thought of turning the land into a tree farm? Harvest the messed up areas, replant, follow some guidelines, tax credit/write off.

JLC

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30369 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 1:53 PM
Ever thought of turning the land into a tree farm? Harvest the messed up areas, replant, follow some guidelines, tax credit/write off.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

yes, meeting the forester tomorrow to make a plan and get it signed off by the state.

I think the oddest thing was no squirrels, no chipmunks, no birds, and all you could hear is the wind.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30370 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 2:23 PM
I think the oddest thing was no squirrels, no chipmunks, no birds, and all you could hear is the wind.

That is messed up. I live in the middle of an urban area and we have plenty of those running around.

JLC

Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30371 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/26/2012 6:41 PM
Another thing to look at would be to "map" out the trails that come in and out of your property and simply put up signs and fencing at those key areas, maybe even a trail cam.

If you're finding spent shotgun shells, then they likely aren't hunting dear, they're either hunting birds such as Turkeys, Pheasants or maybe even Quail or varmint like Rabbits, Squirrels, etc.

Don't know where exactly you live, but I would definitely be spending more time at the property and getting to know your local law enforcement and game and fish departments. Let them know what's going on and ask for their help. People could be hunting on your property without license and if Game & Fish start snooping around, then illegal hunters won't be there for long.

59 acres is a LOT of property, but if you're there, and you hear quads or other off road vehicles zipping around, then I would drive out and go meet the folks. Be nice about it, but also explain that this is private property under new ownership and that they need to respect your rights as property owners and go have fun elsewhere.

When I used to hunt as a kid, we would offer property owners a portion of the meat from any game we took on their property for the permission to hunt their property. We hunted on 2 massive farms in Ohio and we knew where the boundaries were and where we could and couldn't hunt.

This was back in the late 70's, but I know of several instances, where neighborhood kids had a warning shot off the porch put over their heads from a farmer cause they were tearing up his autumn fields on their dirt bikes. Only takes once and they are gone from that place and it typically was handled by a parent, with a belt after the farmer called the police.

xSSMBB

Author: jfbuchanan Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30372 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/27/2012 12:52 PM
"I think the oddest thing was no squirrels, no chipmunks, no birds, and all you could hear is the wind."

I grew up in the country and what you are describing is familiar. Country critters are much more wary of humans than their urban cousins. Squirrels and chipmunks try to stay hidden and birds will be less active when you're around. When I was young it used to amaze me to go to a more urban area or a campground where the animals were used to people. They would practically eat out of my hand! They never let us get that close at home in the country. But, if you sit quietly in the country woods for a while, they come to life. The animals come out of hiding and you might be surprised to find how plentiful they are.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30373 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/27/2012 12:57 PM
I grew up in the country and what you are describing is familiar. Country critters are much more wary of humans than their urban cousins. Squirrels and chipmunks try to stay hidden and birds will be less active when you're around. When I was young it used to amaze me to go to a more urban area or a campground where the animals were used to people. They would practically eat out of my hand! They never let us get that close at home in the country. But, if you sit quietly in the country woods for a while, they come to life. The animals come out of hiding and you might be surprised to find how plentiful they are.

I agree. As a hunter who spend a lot of time sitting quietly in the woods, I would suggest that activity is highest near sunrise and sunset.

PSU

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30374 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/27/2012 1:26 PM
if you sit quietly in the country woods for a while, they come to life. The animals come out of hiding and you might be surprised to find how plentiful they are.

I did that too. what I am looking for is scat, shells from food, prints, disturbance, nests in trees etc... Found nothing.

I have birds here on my 8 acres that fallow me around. Working in the blueberry patch a tom turkey scared me half to death when he came up on my back side and poked his head around my knee. that will teach me to be more aware of what is going on.

Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30375 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/27/2012 2:46 PM
Sometimes making more noise is the key.

Here is a photo of 3 gobblers that walked up to me while I was making lots of noise and moving around while digging 2 post holes and fitting/hanging two 12 foot metal gates:

http://www.taylortel.net/~cjdettmann/Birds/Turkey_20060408_2...

This photo is on the road outside where I placed the above gates, on Thanksgiving Day, 2003:

http://www.taylortel.net/~cjdettmann/Birds/Turkey_20031127_2...

Often when I am plowing a field, Swainson's hawks will sit on the ground around any isolated stands of grass/weeds. As I continue and the piece gets smaller, cottontails, jacks, rats and mice will come running out and run the gauntlet. Even red-tailed hawks which are very leery of humans will sit in brush, trees or posts close to where I am working.

Gene

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30376 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/27/2012 3:21 PM
Here is a photo of 3 gobblers that walked up to me while I was making lots of noise and moving around while digging 2 post holes and fitting/hanging two 12 foot metal gates:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

reminds me of when I was working on the blueberries this fall and not only did the turkeys help me weed but a large white owl flew over my head and whacked it with something. I looked up in time to see his ass and his feet as he was flying away. Figured he got impatient waiting for me to leave.

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30377 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 11/28/2012 9:42 AM
I looked up in time to see his ass and his feet as he was flying away.

Back in the days when my hair was really long, I mostly wore it in a braid down my back. Apparently long, braided hair does a good imitation of a snake sometimes -- I had crows hit my back several times, though always lightly as if they realized the mistake before the attack, but not in time to veery off compeltely. You may have had something similar happen, where a motion or object appeared to be food.

ThyPeace, getting back to that point slowly -- about 12 inches of hair to go.

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30418 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 1/28/2013 1:14 PM

Maybe you're too loud.

AC *just a thought*

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30419 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 1/28/2013 5:11 PM
Maybe you're too loud.

wear sent free clothes. sit for long time. there is just no food for them. or evidence of anything eating there. usually you can see mice trails under snow here but not there.

I see one deer track going up and down the same trail. even tracked it where it sleeps at night. it is trying to eat the hemlocks but with the woolly adelajda it must taste bad. branches are spit out not far from any trees nipped off. did find some acorns in the swamp. they must be bad too because they are chewed on and spit out as well. some one else is tracking this deer too. boot prints are different.

give me about 3 years I will get this place going too. just sad to be so empty.

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30420 of 31152
Subject: Re: hunters on posted land Date: 1/29/2013 9:12 AM
some one else is tracking this deer too. boot prints are different.

That sux. As someone noted before - I'd check into the purple paint laws in your area. Many of the states have adopted it.

give me about 3 years I will get this place going too. just sad to be so empty

That is sad, but I bet with your efforts it will turn around faster than you think.

AC *if you build it, they will come*

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement